Preparation

By the time Ransom and Kaya returned to the apartment building, the sun had set. That fact probably helped disguise them as they drove through a small gathering of Ransom's die-hard fans. Once again, the picket signs were mean. 

"Don't pay any attention to them," Ransom instructed quietly. 

Kaya sighed and laid her head back against the seat. "How can I ignore them? They're everywhere." 

"When in a war with the internet, one should always aim for the original instigator." 

"Sounds good in theory. What are you trying to say?" 

"I'm trying to remind you that the real war starts tomorrow. The press release is out and will be printed first thing in the morning. Don't give yourself too much pressure over the small things." 

Kaya rolled her eyes. "How do you know that's my problem?" 

"Call it observance." Ransom shrugged, then turned the vehicle into its designated parking spot. "You look sad any time you see the protestors." 

"They're saying things without any proof." 

"You're right. They don't know you." Ransom put the car in park. "I do know you. Which of us do you think you should listen to?" 

He had a point. The fangirls were only going on what they had been told. Ransom knew her and had promised he would work it out. She should trust his expertise. 

Kaya glanced down at her hands in her lap. "Are you sure it's going to be okay?" 

"I wouldn't promise if I couldn't deliver." Ransom unstrapped his seatbelt. "I'll walk you to the door." 

Kaya released her own seatbelt and hopped out of the vehicle. She shouldn't waste his time. 

Ransom locked the SUV as he circled the back of it. Once that was done, he held out a hand in Kaya's general direction. "No need to look so scared. Let's go." 

Kaya stared at that hand for far longer than she should have. Every time she touched him so far, Kaya felt a spark of electricity that terrified her. She couldn't afford to feel that kind of thing. What if she had to leave again, like last time? If she let her heart get involved, she wouldn't be able to move on. Even if she managed to leave, then, it would hurt too badly. 

"Kaya?" Ransom tipped his head at a curious angle. 

Kaya shuffled to the back of the car. 

Ransom's fingers glanced against the middle of her back in a guiding motion. 

Kaya nearly lost her breath. If she reacted this terribly at something so trivial, how would she survive a semi-real relationship with the man beside her? What was she supposed to do? 

The elevator presented even more anxiety. The quarters were close, even though Ransom kept a distance between them. 

Kaya couldn't help but nibble at her lip. 

"I've told you, there's no reason to be afraid of me." Ransom didn't look at her while he offered the reassurance, as if he knew that would help her relax. "I won't do anything to you." 

"You're sure?" 

"You set the boundaries. I promised." 

The elevator opened to Jade's floor. Ransom waited for Kaya to step out. 

Though she expected him to follow her, Ransom didn't. He merely gave her a smile. "Rest well, don't worry. Tomorrow is when things really begin. Tonight, just sleep. I'll see you later." 

Kaya nodded, because she wasn't certain what to say in reply. 

The doors closed again. 

And, just like that, her first date with Ransom Lee came to a close.