Relief

After leaving the majority of her apartment furnishings under Zoren's care, Kaya returned to the company. 

She didn't expect Lawrence to immediately stop her. "Ms. Parker." 

"Hi." Kaya glanced around. "Something the matter?" 

Lawrence held up a finger while he reached for his intercom with the other hand. "I've located her. She's with me." 

Located? Did that mean that they had been looking for her? Kaya hadn't meant to worry anyone. Maybe she should have told them where she went, after all. 

"Ms. Parker, this way, please." Lawrence motioned Kaya toward the elevators. 

Which could mean only one thing. She had, indeed, worried Ransom by going off on her own. 

Kaya trailed Lawrence sheepishly, regretting every decision she made earlier in the day. She just wanted a few hours to herself. In hindsight, that hadn't been the best idea. After all, she had a very active threat against her safety. 

As expected, Lawrence followed Kaya into the elevator and pressed the button for the very top floor. Ransom had called for her. 

Kaya nibbled at her lip, trying to decide what to say to make Ransom less angry at her. She hadn't meant to leave him out of the loop. She was used to living on her own. She was used to a life where letting others know her whereabouts happened to be a terrible idea. 

Ding

The doors opened. Lawrence motioned Kaya to go first. 

Kaya stepped into the hall, almost expecting Ransom to be there. He didn't make an appearance. Not until she set foot into Tobin's office. 

Ransom, then, came flying from his own office. His arms wrapped around Kaya to pull her to his chest. 

"I'm sorry, Ransom," Kaya muttered. 

Ransom stroked a hand over her hair. "Don't be sorry. I was worried, that's all. We looked everywhere for you." 

"I... went to clean out my apartment." Kaya looked up. "You're not angry." 

"Angry? No. Just concerned." Ransom let out a breath as if the weight of the world had suddenly dropped from his shoulders. "I thought he got to you." 

"I should have said something." 

"Are you alright?" Ransom attempted a smile, but it only managed to make him look pained. 

Kaya nodded. "Zoren was home, so he kept an eye out." 

Wrong thing to say. Though Ransom didn't seem angry, a muscle in his jaw ticked. "He didn't tell me you were there." 

"Zoren doesn't have to report to you, Ransom." Kaya laughed softly. "It's fine, he probably assumed that I told you where I was going. And he doesn't really know about my father. He couldn't have been this worried." 

Ransom pressed a lingering kiss to the top of Kaya's head. "Until we figure this thing out, would you please... at the very least... tell someone where you're going? Better if you take someone with you. You're most vulnerable when you're alone." 

He had a point, and Kaya had already beat herself up over that topic, so she nodded. "Okay. I got it. Take someone with me." 

"Thank you." Ransom wrapped himself around her in another embrace. 

Kaya tapped a hand against his shoulder. "I should probably get to work now." 

"Go home early tonight. We're going out with Leona tomorrow." Ransom slowly peeled himself away from Kaya. "You'll need your rest." 

Kaya nodded slowly. Leona Lewis. A big problem that somehow managed to get a date out of Ransom. She had almost forgotten. Looked like forgetting entirely wouldn't be in her cards for a while.