The New Intern

Monday morning dawned bright, clear, and sunny. Completely the opposite of what Kaya felt. 

If she had her way, she wouldn't go to the office. Simply because she knew what awaited her. On the one hand, a relationship she didn't know what to do with. On the other hand, a pesky little intern who intended to watch her every step. 

Would she even have room to breathe?

In an effort to steel herself for the oncoming storm, Kaya walked to work. Walking was fast becoming her new habit. It seemed to clear her head, so why not? 

The only downfall to the plan was the end. 

The Conditus building loomed large in front of her, it's doors beckoning her to come to work. 

Kaya straightened her shoulders. Work was work. Anyone else's agenda didn't have to interfere with that. Baking would help calm her down. 

"Okay. You can do this." 

She had to tell herself that. If she couldn't do this, what could she do? Go to work. Do her job. Simple things she could cling to during a stressful day. 

Kaya marched through the doors and toward the kitchen. If she moved fast enough, maybe she wouldn't run into Alicia. 

Sure enough, Kaya made it to the kitchen without incident. 

Relieved, she pushed through the swinging doors... and froze. 

Alicia shrugged one shoulder, a sly grin spreading across her face. "Good morning. I'm the new intern, Alicia Fairchild. I'll depend on you to look after me." 

No. No, no, no. How did this happen? How did the fangirl end up interning in Kaya's sacred space? The kitchen should be a safe haven, but now... now it felt more like a nightmare. 

Kaya rolled her lips together. "I'm not in charge here, so you probably shouldn't look to me to take care of you." 

"What, you didn't get a boss lady position out of your deal with Ran?" 

Wow. This girl was going to get on Kaya's nerves far too quickly. 

Kaya inhaled through her nose. "It's not like that. I-"

"Good morning, Big Sis!" Jacob pushed through the door, then froze much like Kaya had, his eyes fixated on the woman in front of Kaya. 

"What are you looking at?" Alicia jutted her chin higher in the air. 

"N-Nothing!" Jacob took a half-step behind Kaya. "Nothing, really. You're just... really pretty... for an intern." 

"Thank you, I know." Alicia flipped her hair over her shoulder.

A brilliant, wicked idea formed in Kaya's head. A plan that made more than enough sense to go through with it. 

Kaya took hold of Jacob's arm and gently pushed him in front of her. "Jacob, you're an intern, too, aren't you?"

"Yeah..."

"That's great! You can show Alicia around. Tell her what she'll be doing. Get her started on her job."

"I can?"

"You can!" Kaya gave Jacob a shove. "It'll be fun!" 

"I do like fun." Jacob shot Kaya a soft, puppy-like look over his shoulder. "Since you're asking... okay." 

"Thanks." Kaya dashed toward her station. At the very least, she could be far, far away from the chaotic newbie. 

Alicia turned to follow. 

Jacob caught Alicia's arm. "Hey, hey, hey. First things first. You may be really pretty, but you have to pull your hair up. It's policy." 

"What?!" 

Oh, boy, was this day going to get interesting. Kaya grabbed her apron and headed to retrieve ingredients. She was going to need to bake something special to calm her down today.