Progress

Ransom must have understood how hard the whole situation was on Kaya's mental state, because he didn't press further. For now. 

Instead, he motioned to the guard, who handed him Kaya's stack of notebooks. 

Ransom settled the books on the counter, then his fingertips on top of that. "You dropped these. They're very important." 

"Thank you." Kaya eyed the notebooks with both suspicion and a sense of relief. 

At least she hadn't lost them. If she had lost them, she would never hear the end of it. On the other hand, the fact that Ransom personally brought them back to her... meant something. Didn't it? 

"You were supposed to the notes into Tobin's computer this evening, but I think it's best if you go home now." Ransom motioned an arm in the guard's general direction. "Lawrence will take you home." 

"It's okay, I can walk."

"No. It isn't okay. I insist." 

"Really, I'm fine." 

Ransom planted both his hands against the counter behind Kaya, one on either side of her shoulders. With his presence so close, Kaya forgot how to argue. 

"I'll say it one last time." Ransom enunciated each word. "You aren't fine. It's not okay. Lawrence will escort you home in one of the company vehicles. I'm not alright with you walking home alone after that fiasco in the lobby." 

Kaya straightened her spine and lifted her chin. "Why not? I walk home alone every other day." 

"This isn't the first time I've seen you panic." Ransom tipped his head to one side. "Quite honestly, you're fortunate I'm not checking you into the hospital again." 

"I didn't pass out this time!" Kaya defended herself. 

"Which is why you're not in a hospital room now." Ransom chuckled and reached up his fingers to lightly brush her ear. "You really are cute when you blush, you know." 

Kaya's heart thudded in her chest. She frowned at it disapprovingly before she reached up and shoved at Ransom's chest. She should have seen that coming. It had been too long since he pulled something of the sort. 

Ransom, to his credit, stood up and took a step back. "So, for tonight only, Lawrence will take you home." 

"I really don't need it..." Kaya muttered defiantly. 

Ransom shoved his hands into his pockets. "Either Lawrence drives you or I personally escort you. Take your pick." 

Ransom really knew how to work things to fit how he wanted them, didn't he? Kaya blew out a heated breath and folded her arms. 

"Fine. Lawrence can take me." 

"Are you sure? I'm more than willing to do it, myself." 

"I'm sure." 

"Good. If you try to get rid of him, just know it will go in Lawrence's report back to me." Ransom took another step back, allowing Kaya to get off the stool without running into him. "Keep that in mind." 

Darn. Kaya had been hoping to blow off Lawrence as soon as possible. Why did Ransom Lee think through all the possibilities so fast? 

Kaya stood to her feet and lifted her hands to remove the jacket on her shoulders. 

She didn't realize Ransom's hands were so large until they covered her fingers to stop her. 

"Keep the jacket and bring it back in the morning." 

Kaya didn't argue with that. To be fair, his jacket was pretty warm and she had been cold when he offered it. 

Without another word, solely because it took too much strength to come up with words, Kaya took the pile of notebooks into her arms and followed Lawrence out the door.