Evening Plans (pt. 3)

By the time Kaya and Kestrel made it out of Kaya's apartment, Jade had invaded Zoren's. 

Kaya didn't bother to go through the open door. She could see perfectly from the hall. Besides, Jade seemed like she wanted to leave as quickly as possible. Especially given the way she ignored Zoren's questions and downed the cup of tea as if it were water. 

"You're sure this is the best idea?" Zoren asked for the umpteenth time. 

Lina slapped the back of his head. "Stop being paranoid. I told you, Jade has security." 

"I could hire security." 

"Not at this hour of night." Lina skipped to Kaya's side. "We'll be fine. It's not our first girls' night. Don't be a worry-wart. Sleep well!" 

Kaya didn't have the mental strength to jump into their banter, so she waved a goodbye to her next-door neighbor. 

Zoren nodded in response. "Fine." 

"Now that we've settled all that..." Jade set the mug back onto the table. "Let's go. Kestrel is driving." 

"That's the scariest part," Zoren muttered. 

Kaya barely held back a laugh. Zoren didn't seem to like Kestrel, but Kaya had other opinions about the aloof, devil-may-care, playboy image that Kestrel presented. 

Lina linked her arm through Kaya's. "Let's go. Jade's bed is really comfy." 

"I know." 

It wasn't as if she hadn't spent the night at Jade's home before. Last time, it hadn't worked out so well. Surely it would be okay this time, considering Lina would be with her. The tabloids wouldn't blow this out of proportion again, would they? 

Jade sidled up to Kaya's other side. "Stop thinking. Start walking. Everything is under control." 

"Not everything." Kaya glanced over her shoulder at the door to her apartment. Definitely not everything. 

"For tonight, forget about it. We'll deal with it later." Jade patted a hand against Kaya's hair as if she were a puppy, then moved on to order Kestrel around. 

Kaya didn't want to seem eager to leave, but she would feel so much better once they were in a secure building. She never should have moved into this kind of apartment in the first place. Maybe, then, she wouldn't have so many problems. 

"Hey." Lina nudged Kaya's shoulder as they made it down the last step. "It's going to be okay." 

"No, it isn't." Kaya knew better than to believe that. She believed it once, but she had learned better. 

Lina wrinkled her nose. "For now, get in the car. I'm sure we'll figure something out. We always do, right?" 

Kaya didn't know what she did to deserve such loyal, selfless friends. Why hadn't they abandoned her yet? It didn't make sense, but Kaya was learning to be grateful for the things that she didn't understand. 

"I'm sure someone will figure something out." 

Kaya couldn't help but agree with her. Lina wouldn't give up until she did. 

Lina grinned, extracted her arm from Kaya's, and climbed into the Jeep before them. 

Kestrel opened the door on the back passenger side. "After you, my lady." 

"Stop flirting!" Jade shouted from the front seat. 

Kestrel winced, then tossed a grin and a shrug to Jade. 

Jade rolled her eyes. 

Kaya gave her most reassuring smile to Kestrel as she climbed in. Things were sure to get interesting from here.