Redemption

The doors opened again, wider and wider to reveal the only two people in the world that Richard Aberdeen wouldn't want to see. 

Ransom stood behind the wheelchair that held Kaya, his chin tucked and his gaze glowering at the man on stage. 

Kaya, though she glared for a moment, turned her eyes instead to the woman in front of her. Even with her back turned and her posture stiff, Kaya would recognize her anywhere. A single word slipped unbidden from her lips. "Mama." 

Amelia Parker turned her head, her shoulders and then the rest of her body following. Tears welled up in her eyes, in turn spilling down her cheeks and onto the hand that she clapped over her mouth. 

The world around them faded away, drowned out by the intense relief of seeing each other again. Amelia dashed to Kaya's side, going to her knees before the wheelchair. Her trembling fingers reached up to reflect upon Kaya's face. "My baby girl." 

"You're alive." Kaya's own tears spilled over when her eyes met her mother's. 

Amelia smiled. "I would never leave you like that." 

Boots hit hard against the carpeted floor, circling around Ransom and Kaya to head for the front. The volley of policemen stopped in front of the very first chairs, leaving only two to climb onto the stage. 

These were all trustworthy policemen. Kaya knew because Ransom had vetted them himself, had asked them specifically to help them. If they had been on the list of Richard's bribes, they wouldn't have come. They would have told Richard ahead of time. 

"Sir, you're going to have to come with us," one of the police officers intoned. 

The other turned to the audience. "Apologies, but this party is going to have to be cancelled."

And though Richard protested the whole time, the two police officers read him his rights and slapped a pair of cuffs on his wrists.

Jade sailed down the middle aisle, stopping only when she reached Ransom's side. "He tried to blow you up. How did the two of you escape the explosion?"

"Richard is an excellent liar, but his explosives skills could use work. He didn't set it near enough to kill Kaya immediately, only to start a fire." Ransom growled.

Kaya reached a hand back to tap his fingers, knowing it would remind him to keep his cool. 

"And the video?"

"That was my doing." Amelia wiped away another of Kaya's tears, then rose to her feet. "Just because I was being held against my will doesn't mean Richard kept everyone out of the compound. Ransom's team slipped me some technical computer chip which I placed in Richard's bodyguard's phone." 

"The interns took care of the rest." Ransom grinned. "I knew those two would come in handy." 

"Are you alright?" Amelia asked Kaya, finally. 

Kaya nodded. "Just some bumps and bruises. Ransom already made sure nothing was seriously wrong." 

He had, in fact, yelled at a number of doctors and nurses until he could be assured that Kaya would heal properly and comfortably. 

Amelia smiled at Ransom. "You must be Kaya's boyfriend."

"Yes, ma'am." Ransom dipped his head toward her. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you." 

"Likewise." Amelia rested a hand on Kaya's. "Thank you for taking care of my daughter. That's all I could ever ask for." 

"That is also my pleasure." 

Jade rolled her eyes. "Are we going to continue this love fest here or are we leaving? Those news crews are about to turn on us if we don't hurry up." 

"We'll go to the station to give our statements again," Ransom assured. "You, dear cousin, should rescue Kestrel before he gets swept away." 

"I'll go with Kaya," Amelia vowed. 

Jade threw her hands in the air, muttering, "Of course you leave me all the hard work." But she stomped off anyway. 

Ransom bent down to be nearer Kaya's ear. "Let's go, then." 

Kaya, tears still lingering on her lashes, couldn't help but smile. How could she ask for anything better in the world than having the two people she loved most by her side?