The Beginning of The End

While Jade and Ransom stared each other down (no surprise there), Kaya flipped through the piles of papers on Ransom's coffee table. One stack at a time. 

On the one hand, Ransom had a file dedicated solely to the evidence they had gathered against Richard Aberdeen thus far. The other pile of papers and envelopes consisted of printed reviews and articles revolving around the bribery information that Ransom had leaked. 

"...unprecedented accusations..."

"...false claims of  corruption..."

"...a futile ploy to undermine a great politician..." 

So much for unbiased media. They might as well bow down and worship him if they were going to spout such obvious flattery. No doubt someone paid them off, but knowing that didn't make it any less frustrating. 

"Don't read those." Ransom broke eye contact with Jade in favor of snatching the articles away from Kaya. "This is just the beginning, but if you read these you'll question if we can get anywhere." 

"Too late." Kaya slumped back on the couch. "If we can't even get anyone to investigate his bribery, how are we going to convince them of the most terrible things he's done?" 

"We're investigating still." Ransom rested a hand atop Kaya's head. "I told you, I have a plan. Can you please trust me?" 

"I do trust you." Kaya pouted toward the papers. "I don't trust any of them, though." 

Jade folded her arms and arched her brows. "You clearly haven't witnessed Ransom's sheer prowess when it come to spinning a story." 

No. She hadn't seen his full potential. But she had seen what he would do to change the public's opinion about her. He would surely spare no less energy this time, when Kaya's very life hung in the balance. 

"It's fine, I assure you." Jade waved a hand through the air. "Between Ransom's investigation and my father's evidence, we'll get to the end of this soon." 

"You know about your father's evidence?"

Jade nodded enthusiastically. "Who do you think couriered it to Ransom's office? A pigeon?" 

Kaya had been thinking more along the lines of an anonymous email, but she had never suspected that Jade knew more than she let on. Jade didn't have time to be involved in all of this, with her modeling career in full swing. She barely had time to come home and sleep. 

Kaya sat straighter, her mind working overtime to try and figure out how Jade fit into the plan. "But... your photoshoots and commercials..." 

"Ugh, don't remind me." Jade checked her watch. "I have to leave in five minutes or I'll be late." 

"But... when did you have time?" 

"I didn't. I made time." Jade sent a wink to Kaya, then flicked her hair over her shoulder. "Since the two of you seem to have things to discuss, I will take my leave. If I call either of you, you should answer. Kestrel has been pestering me again." 

"You like him, though," Kaya pointed out. 

Jade's polished demeanor barely slipped. "Maybe I do. Maybe I don't." With that, she marched right into the elevator and disappeared. 

Kaya huffed a soft laugh. Persnickety, snobby Jade had well and truly begun to fall for the persistent man chasing after her. Kaya didn't know how or when, but she hoped the two figured out their relationship. 

Ransom tapped a finger against Kaya's shoulder. "Would you like to hear the plan?" 

Kaya nodded. Boy, would she ever.