Uncertainty

To his credit, Jacob managed to keep Alicia preoccupied for the better part of the morning. At least long enough for Kaya to whip up some breakfast for her boss... boyfriend?... whichever category he now fit under. 

Kaya didn't manage to sneak out of the kitchen, but thanks to Jacob's instructive hold on Alicia, she did manage to escape. 

If she had known that Alicia Fairchild would intern in the kitchen, Kaya wouldn't have agreed to Ransom's plan.

Now that she had agreed, she couldn't back out. 

A classic catch-22 that Kaya should have seen coming. What else could go wrong with this plan?

Kaya knew she shouldn't have asked that question, but she couldn't help it. Nothing went the way she wanted it to go. Why did all the plans have to fall apart at the first sign of pressure? 

With a sigh, Kaya wheeled the breakfast cart out of the elevator and into Ransom's outer office. 

Tobin stood from his desk and gave a half-bow. "Good morning, Ms. Parker." 

"Hi, Tobin." Kaya glanced to Ransom's closed door. "Is he in?" 

"He is, but..." Tobin shook his head as if he thought better of what he was about to say. "Go in, then. He's waiting." 

"Thank you." Kaya gave Tobin a cheerful wave, despite her anxiety over the stalker downstairs. 

Tobin didn't sit down, but instead watched Kaya as she knocked on Ransom's door, then entered. 

Ransom stopped pacing in the middle of the room when Kaya entered. He held up a "one minute" finger toward her. 

"Yes. Yes, of course, we're aware. Thank you. No further comments." Ransom pulled the phone away from his ear and hung up. "Good morning, Kaya. Is that breakfast?" He pointed a finger at the cart. 

Kaya nodded, unaware what else she could do. 

"Thank God, I'm starving." Ransom strode in her direction.

She had never seen Ransom look this way before. Tie pulled loose, top three buttons on his shirt undone. Jacket off. Unsettled. 

"Are... are you okay?" Kaya asked. 

Ransom lifted the lid from a tray. "Hm? Yes, just fine." 

"It's really early in the morning for... this." Kaya timidly lifted a finger to motion to the loose tie and unbuttoned shirt. 

Ransom looked down at himself, then sideways toward Kaya. "Is it bothering you?" 

"Not... really..." 

"Would you like to fix it for me?" Ransom took a step closer to Kaya.

Kaya tried to take a step back, but found herself blocked by the angled cart. She clasped her hands over her heart, curious why it beat so hard and fast. 

"Kaya?" Ransom stood close enough to Kaya that she heard his lowered voice clearly. 

Kaya nibbled at her lip. "Yes?" 

Ransom lifted one hand to pull a strand of hair out of Kaya's face. "You're blushing." 

"You're really close." Instead of Kaya arguing against it, she chose to be honest this time. 

"Does that make you anxious?" Ransom's fingers lingered against Kaya's hair. 

"I don't... think anxious is the word for it." Kaya sucked in a breath. 

Ransom's lips tilted into a grin. He leaned closer, as if he might... kiss her? 

"What are you doing?" The voice came loud and stern from the doorway. 

Kaya startled, bumping against the cart hard enough to make it shake and rattle. 

Ransom sighed and took a step back. A glowering look, he shot toward the heckler. If looks could kill, the man at the door would be in his grave. 

Kaya didn't want to face the familiar voice, but she didn't have a choice.