Party Time (pt. 2)

Kaya hadn't realized that ballrooms were so prevalent in the upper-crust party scene. This one seemed more "business dinner" than "gala". Fewer crystal chandeliers and more powerpoints and podiums. Less floral bouquets and more simple centerpieces. 

Ransom sailed through the open doors without having to show his invitation. With his career and reputation, anyone who didn't want him at their party must be hiding something. 

Kaya perused the room a second time, making note of all the exits just in case they needed to run away. She had complete faith in Ransom. The others? Kaya wasn't so sure. 

Ten steps through the doors. The farthest they managed to get before someone noticed. 

A small party of business-people parted ways from the buffet to swarm around Ransom and Kaya. 

"Mr. Lee, how nice to see you again." 

"What brings you to our neck of the woods?" 

"Do you have time for a brief consultation about a problem I've been having?" 

Knowing Kaya's propensity to panic in crowds, Ransom tucked his arm securely around her waist to keep her at his side. "Benson, it's been a while. How have you been?" 

Kaya looked up to study the side of Ransom's face. How did he keep the mental capacity to circumvent all the questions thrown at him? Kaya would have felt the necessity to answer everything. In explicit detail. 

Though they had been completely and totally blown off, no one in the circle seemed to mind. Benson and Ransom batted small talk back and forth, never really discussing anything worthwhile. The other two kept up with the conversation, laughing and joking as they saw fit. 

Until, finally, another voice broke in. "I see I'm no longer the star of this party." 

The circle split to allow the new businessman to enter. Average height, older, and sporting salt-and-pepper sideburns, the man exuded an aura of expertise and authority. 

Ransom held out his hand. "Mr. Golde. Congratulations on winning the bid." 

"Tell me you didn't come all this way just to butter me up." Mr. Golde briefly shook Ransom's hand, then motioned to Kaya. "This is?" 

"Ah, pardon my manners." Ransom gave Kaya's waist a small squeeze, reassuring her that this had all been part of his plan. "This is Kaya Parker. You might have heard of her a few months ago when rumors started flying about us." 

"Ms. Parker." Mr. Golde gave a nod but didn't offer his hand. "A pleasure to meet you, I'm sure." 

"Nice to meet you, too," Kaya lied. She would rather be anywhere but here. 

Betty, dressed in the wait staff's uniform, sailed past behind Mr. Golde and shot Kaya a thumbs-up. Encouragement at its finest. Kaya barely contained her smile. 

"Why don't you and Ms. Parker sit at the VIP table during the presentation?" Mr. Golde offered. 

Ransom grinned. "We would love that." 

That was the exact moment that Kaya knew Ransom's plan included the presentation that Mr. Golde had mentioned. If only she could foresee what would happen next.