Prelude To A Date

Friday morning. Only hours left until the inevitable. 

Kaya sat on a stool, staring at her work station like it might combust. How did things turn out like this? She came to the city with only one goal: survive. How did she go from innocent little baker to girlfriend of a man with so many crazy fans that she couldn't keep count?

What should she do about the woman who wanted to be his fiancée? 

"Okay, you're spacing out real hard." Alicia leaned against the end of Kaya's station. "Something happen? Did you two break up?" 

"No!" Kaya pouted. How dare she think so? Ransom was Kaya's, no one else's. 

She didn't know where the possessive streak came from, but it hit her hard. Kaya pushed her hair back from her face with one hand. She would never survive this date. 

"Is this about that stupid fiancee article?" Alicia rolled her eyes. "Because I may not approve of you, but I hate her more." 

"Alicia! Why are you bothering Big Sis?" Jacob appeared, storming their way from the general direction of the dining hall. 

Alicia shot a glare over her shoulder. "I'm not bothering her, I'm about to give her valuable life advice." 

"Which means you're bothering her." Jacob pulled to a stop beside Alicia. "Big Sis, you don't look so good. What's wrong?" 

Kaya sighed. She couldn't hold out on Jacob. He helped her through so much. "Leona Lewis connived a date with Ransom, and I'm supposed to go, too. Ransom's condition to agreeing." 

"Oh, you mean the really pretty red-head journalist lady?" Jacob asked. 

Alicia raised a hand. "If you want my advice-"

"If your advice starts with 'dump Ransom', then please stop talking." Kaya shook her head at the young woman. 

"But... this time it doesn't start with that." Alicia looked up at Jacob. "Tell her I'm changing my opinion for today." 

Kaya rolled her eyes. "I can still hear you. What's your advice, then?" 

"Easy. Punch her." 

"What?!" Kaya and Jacob exclaimed in unison. 

Alicia laughed. "You ask that like you don't know me. Kaya is clearly jealous. Let it out. Just punch her and tell her no deal. She can't date your man." 

"I can't punch her. We need her help on... something... and this was her condition to help." 

"Okay, Plan B." Alicia tugged at Jacob's sleeve to make him bend down to her level. 

Kaya didn't hear what she whispered in Jacob's ear. but Jacob nodded his consent. Honestly, she wasn't sure he heard all of it, either. His face had turned ten shades of red in close proximity to pretty Alicia. 

Kaya rapped her knuckles on the counter. "Are you going to tell me what Plan B is?" 

Alicia paused, then released Jacob and shoved her hands behind her back. "No. I think it's better if you don't know. Just know that if something goes wrong tonight, you've got backup. Leave it to us, okay?" 

The time. She should get ready to go. Kaya rose to her feet, unsure if she suddenly trusted Alicia Fairchild or not. Jacob was there, so it might be okay. 

Kaya turned to go, not saying anything since she wasn't sure what to say. 

"Oh, and, Kaya?" Alicia called. 

Kaya paused to glance back. 

Alicia made a fist with one hand. "You've got this. Express your feelings."

Since when did Alicia become helpful? Kaya liked it a little, but she didn't trust it. Even less did she trust a couple of new adults handling her situation. It just didn't set well with her. For inexplicable reasons.