Chapter Nineteen: Like penguins

*Macy's POV*

For what feels like hours, we just stare at each other in silence. I don't know whether or not he's playing a trick on me, or if he's dead serious. If I at least knew a little something about Cayton, I know he's is being dead serious.

For a good duration of the time I've spent here, I've been waiting for this moment. It's here. I can simply walk out and leave it all behind. Finish this chapter in my life and move on to the next. Forget any of it ever happened and go back to living my life from before.

But here, in this moment, the life I had before just doesn't seem to do it for me.

Maybe it's because I'm hitting my rebellious teenage stage later than most. Maybe it's because I think I'm possibly going crazy. However, I know the true reason.

I'm in love.

Yes. I, Macy Elizabeth Dalton, am in love with my werewolf kidnapper.

Moreover, I realize that even after I found out Cayton is a werewolf; it wasn't enough to push me away. I'm in love with who he is, not what he is. As Tami said, they've been the same people the entire time. It took a while for me to figure that out, but I guess it's better late than never, right?

However, if he doesn't want me here, what good is it?

I meet Hunter's eyes and give him a slight nod towards the direction of the door, telling him and Tami to go. He gets the message and taps Tami's shoulder, who seems to be disappointed to miss whatever is going to happen next. They leave, and Cayton watches me curiously.

Once they're gone, I fiddle with my hands in my lap.

"Do you really want me to leave?" I ask meekly. When he doesn't respond, I lift my eyes from my hands to meet his stony expression.

"If you want to leave, I'm not going to stop you," he repeats.

"I get that. But do you want me to leave?" He remains silent, his face not giving the slightest clue as to what he's thinking. "Just tell me."

Finally, he drops the cold expression and sighs, running his fingers through his brown hair. "No. I don't."

"Then why are you giving me the option to leave? Why now?"

"I want you here because you want to stay with me, not because you can't leave."

I want to tell him that he's an idiot. A cute, lovable idiot. Somehow, he's conjured up in his mind that the best way to handle this is to let me go?

After everything, he's telling me I can leave. Yes, I may love him, but he's an idiot.

Swinging my legs off the side of the bed, I stand up with determination inside of me. Cayton still has some explaining to do, and I'm ready to hear it all. He still has to explain exactly what this whole 'mate' business is about.

It had better be a damn good excuse for kidnapping me.

He watches as I make my way to the door, not trying to stop anything I might do.

So he would actually just let me leave? I guess his heart is in the right place, but come on.

I stop right in front of the door, and close it.

Shock is evident on his face, but soon it's replaced with utter happiness.

I go and sit down on the bed and pat the spot next to me, letting him know it's ok. He wastes no time in claming his spot. When he sits down, I turn my body to face him and pull my knees up to my chest, mentally preparing myself for the flood of information I'm sure to receive.