Chapter Thirty-Seven: Welcome to the club

*Macy's POV*

Before I had the courage to open my eyes, I knew something was off. I couldn't describe it. I didn't really have a chance to think it through either, because I was overwhelmed with so many different things in that second before I opened my eyes.

There was a distinct smell of honeysuckle on the air, mingled with fresh grass and even dew. Only, these smells were so much more powerful than what I would have expected them to be. There were also four other distinct smells, and the faintest hint of something I couldn't describe. All I knew was that it made my head start to spin. Then I opened my eyes. That only made the spinning worse.

I felt as if I was looking through a new pair of eyes. Everything was so clear. The colors of the woods seemed more vivid, the sun seemed brighter, and I could see further away than I ever have. I also saw that I was lying on the ground, with Warren standing over me; Bethany, Joshua, and that police officer sitting against a tree.

I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to get the spinning in my head to stop and trying to recall anything that could help me figure out what is going on. But I can't. The last thing I remember is crashing.

Then I realized where I was. In the woods. Lying on the ground and aching like hell. Surrounded by three people I probably shouldn't be within a hundred miles of, and Bethany, who I can now see is handcuffed and sandwiched between Joshua and Officer Asshole.

"Can you move?" Warren asks, poking my side with his foot. I let out a yelp at the contact, because my body is ridiculously sore. I've been in a few car crashes before—thanks to my dad's amazing driving skills—and I certainly didn't feel like this afterwards. Then again, none of them were this bad.

Still, I try moving to see if I can. I try moving my legs, and although they are stiff, they work just fine. Then I try my arms. Next, I try curling my fingers-

Holy hell.

Where did my fingers go?

And why am I looking at a paw?

All thoughts of pain flee my mind as I jump up from my spot in surprise, staring wide-eyed at the dark brown fur-covered, thumb-less paw connected to where my arm would usually be. I think I try to scream, but it comes out like a high-pitched whine.

My eyes dart around to everyone watching me with caution, waiting for someone to explain why the hell I have a paw. Four of them to be exact. And a tail!

I have. A tail.

Something is connected to my butt.

Tail. Butt. My butt has a tail connected to it.

Once I stop spinning in circles trying to get a good look at this thing currently adorning my butt, I notice the ripped clothes that I had once been wearing. One more look at Warren, and I know exactly what has happened.

It isn't some glorious revelation or anything—I knew from the moment I saw that I had paws and a new appendage what had went down. I guess I thought that by maybe chasing my tail around like an idiot, all the while having Joshua and Officer Asshole laugh at me, that I would suddenly wake up from this bizarre dream. Wake up, snuggled next to Cayton, as a human.

Cayton.

Oh damn. He is not going to be happy.

When I try to ask for an explanation, my words come out as a jumbled barking sound.

"I think we're done here," Joshua says, pushing himself up from his spot on the ground. Officer Asshole does the same, but Bethany stays on the ground, looking at me with unshed tears making her green eyes glossy. "It was a pleasure doing business with you." He strides over and shakes Warren's hand, both giving each other curt nods.