Chapter Twenty-Eight: You only live once

*Cayton's POV*

It was around three in the morning when I was woken from my peaceful slumber. The urgency in Michael's voice, the one who had woken me, told me this wasn't something that could wait for morning.

I knew immediately that it had something to do with Joshua. Call it Alpha's intuition, but it has been a while since we've dealt with him. It was only a matter of time before he returned to his usual schemes.

I have the ability to see through the eyes of my pack members, and I use that ability to see what Michael sees.

He's running along side Drake, chasing what I can make out to be two grey wolves. I retreat back in to my own mind when Michael and Drake attack them.

Macy is still asleep, curled up against me. Seeing her sleep so peacefully only made me want to get to Michael faster and deal with this situation, because I knew I had to stop Joshua from ever getting near her again. I couldn't, wouldn't let that happen.

So I slipped out of bed as quietly as I could. It wasn't quiet enough though, because she stirred before opening her tired eyes.

"Cayton? Where're you going?" she says sleepily, rubbing her eyes before sitting up with a yawn.

"There's an emergency, I'll be back soon. Just go back to sleep Princess," I murmur, kissing the top of her head. At the mention of an emergency, she becomes alert.

"What kind of emergency?" she asks.

Are you on your way? I hear Carter's voice in my mind.

Yes, I reply. "We'll talk later. Just go back to sleep." She looks at me wearily, before the idea of sleep wins out. She nods and falls back on her pillow.

"I love you, please be careful," she whispers.

"I will. I love you too," I reply.

*Macy's POV*

Sleep never comes. As tired as I am, and as much as I try to fall back asleep, my mind is on full alert and won't allow it.

Cayton looked angry. Angry, and worried. I knew it was because of whatever was happening, but what was happening is what I want to know. And now I can't go to sleep because I'm thinking about it so much. I'm more worried about Cayton's safety than anything, even though I know he can handle himself. I can't help it though.

When the sun starts rising around six, I get out of bed and abandon my mission of sleep. It reminds me of Christmas as a child, when I couldn't sleep no matter what, and shot out of bed at exactly six. Except this time, there weren't presents waiting under the tree.

To my surprise, Hunter, Tami, and Bethany are all waiting down stairs. Hunter and Tami are both carefree as usual, but Bethany shares the same look of worry that I do. Most likely concerned for Carter as I am for Cayton.

"And it has awaken," Hunter jokes. I smile slightly.

"Good to see you too, Hunter," I say groggily. "I'm assuming you're here because of this emergency?" He nods. "And you're here because...?" I direct my words to Tami, and she cocks an eyebrow. "I mean, not that I'm glad you're here, but..."

"Trenton is with them," she says dismissively, not even an ounce of worry in her voice.

"Oh." I take the open seat next to Bethany.

A silence settles between all of us, which I might add, is a rare occurrence when Hunter and I are in the same room.

During this silence, I'm aware of a tedious tapping next to me. I glance over at Bethany from the corner of my eye, noticing she is continuously drumming her fingers on the edge of the sofa, her eyes studying the wall as if she's deep in thought. I can tell she's worried alright, but there's something else there. Fear, possibly?