Chapter Thirty-Three: Poetic justice

*Macy's POV*

The strain in the area that came with their appearance was obvious to everyone. You could tell by the look on their faces. Most of it was due to the fact that I'm glaring at both Drake and Cayton, and everyone notices it.

Drake was studiously avoiding my gaze, settling for scanning his eyes around the room as if he hadn't probably seen it hundreds of times. Cayton, however, keeps his eyes on me, a look of guilt that he tries to mask on his face.

There's silence, which no one seems to be ready to break. After an extensive glare at all of them, I huff and turn to Bethany, choosing to ignore them. Cayton and Drake, I mean.

Carter casually slides past all of them, going to take the space between Bethany and I. If I weren't pissed, I would have smiled at the way Bethany's face lit up when Carter sat down and put his arm around her shoulders. But I am, therefore I didn't. I just sort of mentally 'awed' while keeping that pissed off look on my face.

"You missed a good meeting Macy," Carter says, causing me to frown.

"Not my fault," I say bitterly.

"Oh, right, you got kicked out by Cayton," he says, and I know his words aren't to taunt me, they're to taunt Cayton. What a lovely best friend, provoking me so I'll go off. Because that's exactly what I want to do. "Such a shame."

He smirks in Cayton's direction, and I grit my teeth in anger when Cayton has no response. I don't know, an apology or something would have been nice. Maybe even a reasonable explanation would suffice. But no. Cayton doesn't say a word, which to me means he must not have even slight remorse for kicking me out.

"Ok, I think it's time for you all to leave," I say finally, facing them. Michael and Trenton start to leave right as I say, but Drake stays put. "You too." I dare him to say something with my eyes, and he looks to Cayton. I scoff internally. If Cayton even thinks about telling Drake to stay, I will enlist Carter and Bethany to kick both of their asses.

It won't be necessary though, because Cayton nods in dismissal.

"And you," I say to Carter, who is watching with amusement.

"No way! I'm not missing this," he says excitedly, ready to watch whatever he thinks is about to go down. I don't try arguing with him, because I know he's almost impossible. So instead, I look to Bethany, who nods in understanding.

"Come on you big dork," she says, before grabbing onto his ear and pulling him up from the couch.

"Ow!" he whines, but Bethany keeps her hold on his ear as she pulls him out of the living room. "Good luck man!" he shouts to Cayton before I hear the door shut. That leaves Cayton and I alone.

"Are you going to say something or not?" I demand.

"What's to say?" he shrugs carefree, starting towards me. "Everything's been taken care of."

I side step out of his way when he attempts to touch me. "Really? I wouldn't know." He sighs, running his fingers through his hair when I move out of his reach once again.

"Look, are we really going to argue over this?"

"No, we're going to have a discussion over why you kicked me out," I say, but the way my voice is rising is in no way implying we're about to have a "discussion".

"It wasn't like that. I just thought it would be best for you to sit it out. I don't want you worrying over all of that when it's taken care of," he says calmly, a polar opposite of how I'm feeling right now.

"It wasn't like that, really? It was exactly like that. And obviously it isn't taken care of; otherwise you wouldn't be having that meeting in the first place!" I rant. "Also, I don't need you deciding what I can and cannot handle. Believe me; I would have been just fine!"