39

LOGAN

Rylee and I lay curled up on the couch with Shiloh as Lilo and Stitch plays in the background. Since the court sentencing we had been spending more time together doing simple things, realizing that was what made us the most happy.

ONE WEEK AGO

Rylee squeezes my hand as we enter the courtroom, it was the only thing keeping her grounded and from showing Joel just how scared she was. He didn't have a right to have any control over her anymore.

The sheriff smiles at us as we make our way into the room. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I glanced at Joel as Rylee was taken to the front and he had the nerve to look guilty. I wanted the punch the smug bastard in the face. My fists were clenching as I took my seat next to Wilson.

I tune out what everyone was saying and just focused on Joel. He was nervous, he was wiping his hands on his pants and clasping them together every chance he got. My view of Rylee was just the back of her head but I knew what she was thinking. I knew she was terrified but I also knew she was the strongest women I had ever met, and no matter the outcome, I knew she would survive and get through today.

The jury studied Rylee and Joel with earnst as the judge stated his comments and proceedings. As the ending drew nearer, I felt myself getting more and more nervous. Finally the judges voice breaks me out of my stupor.

"Will the defense please rise."

I watch with bated breath as Rylee and Joel both stand along with their lawyers.

"Jury, what is your ruling?"

"We the jury find the defendant Joel Eric Mathews, on the charges of assault and battery, attempted murder, rape, stalking, and breaking and entering. Guilty."

Rylee snuggles deeper into my side, and I plant a kiss on the top of her head as the credits roll. My phone buzzes in my pocket as Shiloh stands and helps Rylee clean up the the empty popcorn buckets.

"Hey Kel."

"Logan I need to tell you something" My sister says in a serious tone.

"Shit Kelly, what did he do?"

"What? Nothing. Josh has been amazing. No I have good news."

"Okay well what's up?"

There's some shuffling on the other line before Josh's voice comes rumbling through the phone.

"We're having a baby."

"The hell you are!"

"We are Logan! I'm pregnant, due in August." Kelly squeals in my ear.

"What the fuck?"

"Oh don't be so dramatic Logan. You and Rylee will be popping out lots of little ones soon too!"

My cheeks heat up at the thought of having kids with Rylee. I hadn't thought about it until now, but it was suddenly something I wanted.

"Kelly, I'm going to murder your husband."

"No you will not!" She yells at me.

"I will never speak to you again and I will take Rylee from you as well."

My jaw drops open as Rylee comes back in the room. She gives me a look and I pull my phone away from my ear and put it on speaker.

"Kelly here says she would steal you away from me if I murdered Josh."

Rylee chuckles "Why are you murdering Josh?"

"He got my sister pregnant"

She pauses and gapes at me like a fish out of water.

"Are you serious? Congratulations Kelly!"

"Thanks Ry."

"Sorry Kel but I'll have to stick with your brother as much as I love you I couldn't leave him."

"I'll let you have all the baby cuddles you want, and I'll give you double fudge cookies"

"Deal" Rylee spurts without any hesitation

"Um excuse me? You'd ditch me for cookies?"

"Not just any cookies! Double fudge cookies. And unlimited baby cuddles. You can't beat that Logan" Rylee states with a grin.

I roll my eyes playfully at her and plant a kiss on her cheek as she leaves the room again.

"I win Logan. Double fudge always wins" Kelly says with a laugh.

"Quit teasing him babe" Josh says

"Really guys I'm happy for you. I can't believe I'm gonna be an uncle."

"You're going to be a great Uncle Logan" Josh says

"Damn right I am."

We all share a laugh and say our goodbyes after Josh and Kelly promise to keep me updated on the baby.

When I reach our room Rylee is curled up in bed with a towel wrapped around her body and her wet hair in a blob on top of her head.

"Shiloh is on the phone with mom" she states solemnly

I take a seat beside her and pull her damp body into my arms.

"How's her case going?"

"I haven't really talked to her much. But from what I've heard from Shiloh, he'll be leaving at the end of the month. Moms gonna take him to Chicago to get away from Brian."

"Do you think she'll tell you?"

Rylee let's out a breath and snuggles deeper into my chest. "I'm not sure"

We lay in silence as I trace patterns on her arm with my fingers, until she leans up on her elbow and locks her eyes with mine.

"I don't care if she tells me or not. Because no matter what, you're my family. I don't need her when I have you. I want you forever Logan"

I smirk at her and lean down to kiss her.

"And you'll have me for as long as you want me baby"