36

LOGAN

"Edith what do you want?" I ask as she wipes the mascara running down her face.

"Is Rylee around? Sh-Shiloh said this was her place." she hiccups.

"Well technically it's our place, but whatever floats your boat." I state just to be an ass.

She brushes off my snide comment and and brushes her unruly hair out of her face. 

"Can I see her? I need to talk to her."

"I don't think she's going to want to hear what you have to say, I mean you did abandon her when she needed you, not to mention that fact that you haven't even tried to get ahold of her in the last, what six years?" 

"This has nothing to do with me and Rylee, it's about Shiloh, please I don't have anywhere else I can go."

I let out a puff of breath and open the door wider, beckoning her in. 

"Wait here, I'll go wake her up."

Edith glances around the dorm briefly before a look of disgust crosses her features. She studies the old couch like some swamp creature is going to jump out of it and chew on her for dinner. 

"Take a seat somewhere and we'll be back in a minute."

She look between the couch and I before she hesitantly sits down and daintily crosses her legs. Despite her current state she still looked polished and put together. 

I roll my eyes as I head down the hallway and towards our bedroom where Rylee is sprawled across the bed with her curly hair like a halo above her. I kneel on the bed beside her and run my fingers through her curls and leave a trail of kisses down her bare arm. Goosebumps erupt on her skin following the path of my kisses and a grin makes its way onto her face. 

She groans softly and chuckles. "What time is it?" 

"Just after two"

"In the morning?" she asks groggily

"Yes baby"

"Ugh, why the hell are you waking me up this early? Are you okay?"

She sits up in a rush and her sleepy brown eyes scan my body. 

"I'm fine baby, but um, your mom is here."

Rylee blinks up at me a few times. "I'm sorry what?" 

"She showed up crying, and said she needed to talk to you about your brother. She's waiting in the living room for you."

A far away look is cast upon her face briefly before she climbs out of bed and puts on my t-shirt that was thrown on the the floor. She throws her hair up in a bun and sets her face into a stern frown. She was steeling herself for this confrontation, and I didn't blame her.

"Hey" I grab her wrist and pull her into my arms before cupping her face between my hands.

"No matter what happens baby, I'm here, I'm not going to leave your side, and I'm going to support whatever decision you make. Okay?"

She nods her head and leans her head back to place her lips on mine. 

"I love you Logan"

"I love you too Rylee, so much"

She offers me a weak smile before she pulls back from me and heads towards the living room.

I follow Rylee out as she stands in front of her mother with her arms crossed over her chest. 

"Rylee, honey"

Rylee puts a hand up to stop her.

"Don't start with your bullshit, just tell me what is wrong with Shiloh, then get the hell out"

Edith flinches and manages to look ashamed before she stands and turns her reddened cheek towards us.

"Brian hit me." She states looking Rylee in the eyes. "It started shortly after Shiloh was born and I  didn't do anything because I didn't want to make the same mistake that I did with you. I don't have a reason for leaving you Rylee but I can't and I won't do that to Shiloh."

"So why the hell are you here then? To rub it in my face some more?"

"No Rylee, I-I need to watch Shiloh, be his guardian until I can get the divorced finalized. I don't want him near Brian at all. I know I don't deserve your help but I'm begging Rylee. I can't see my son go through that."

Rylee hesitates briefly before she nods her head.

"Fine, but I want to make one thing clear, I am not doing this for you, because you're right you don't deserve my help. I am doing this for Shiloh because despite you being  horrible mother to me, you care about him, and he's my brother. But I don't want to get in the middle of another messy divorce."

Edith doesn't respond she just stares at Rylee. 

"I'll bring him by in the morning. Thank you Rylee."

Rylee doesn't respond and struts back into the bedroom before slamming the door shut.

I glance at Edith and she meets my eyes and gives me a curt nod before leaving the dorm. I shut the door behind her and lock it before heading back to the bedroom with Rylee.