38

LOGAN

I was standing outside the courtroom waiting for the trial to be over. I knew if I had gone in, I wouldn't have helped Rylee's case at all. I most likely would have punched the fucker out if he had said anything or even glanced at Rylee. 

I watched Iris as she slowly sashayed up to me.

Why was I ever attracted to her?

"Hey Logan." She states with a smile pasted on her red lips. 

"What do you want Iris?"

"The back office is vacant you know. We could always go somewhere more private and talk things through."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I snap at her, causing her to take a few steps away from me.

"Not only am I dating Rylee, but you have a boyfriend too. I love her Iris, and I'm not going to cheat on her, especially with someone like you!"

Iris glares at me and steps back into my space.

"You wouldn't even know Rylee if it weren't for me. If you remember correctly Logan, I took you to the hospital with me. So don't you dare talk to me that way."

"Spare me Iris. That's a bullshit excuse and you know it! Stop pretending you cared about her at all."

She rears back as is I had just slapped her.

"I did care Logan, I cared too much until you came along."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"God you are so fucking dense! I chased after you Logan! I practically leaped into your bed to sleep with you and you still fucking chose her over me!"

"You betrayed her because I didn't fuck you?"

Tears were getting ready to spill down her cheeks as she stared at me.

"I tried everything I could think of but I wasn't good enough for you. I wanted to be the one that tamed you, I wanted to be the one that finally made you settle down after that bitch cheated on you. Rylee didn't even know she was in love with you until I prodded it out of her."

"Why does that matter? The fact is she figured it out and we're together. You and Joel lost."

"When Sarah told us you guys went to Colorado we took our chance. I wanted to find anything to break you guys up. I had hoped that if you found out something about her, you would come running to me. I wanted you to chase me like I chased you."

"That doesn't even make sense Iris. You just needed to come talk to me about how you felt and we could have worked something out, you didn't even give Rylee a chance to be happy did you?"

Iris rolls her eyes at that statement and anger flares through my bones.

"She spent years pining after Joel like a fucking idiot after what he did to her. He took what he wanted from her and she let him."

"You're a fucking psychopath Iris"

Her eyes flare with anger and she stills as the courtroom doors open and Rylee steps out. They lock eyes and Iris charges at Rylee with a scream. 

 Rylee ducks away from Iris as she swings at her and guards surround them. I step up and pull Rylee away, before wrapping her in my arms.

"You took everything from me you bitch!" Iris screams as an officer pins her to the wall and slinks a pair of cuffs on her wrists.

Her screams echo down the hallway as the police drag her away and Rylee cries into my shoulder. I cup her face and wipe her tears away with the pads of my thumbs.

"Are you okay?"

She nods at me as she watches the police drag her ex best friend away. 

"I'm so sorry baby" I mumble against her hair as the sheriff approaches us.

He offers us both a smile and motions for us to join him in the adjoining room. We oblige and take a seat on the plush couch.

"You did incredible Ms. Luma, I really think  things will turn in our favor with your statement out there."

"What's going to happen now?" I ask linking my fingers with Rylee's.

"The jury is going to deliberate. It can take anywhere from minutes to hours, some cases its takes day for them to come up with a decision. I really believe this will be open and shut. Why don't you guys go grab some grub and I can call you back when the judge wants to reconvene?"

"Yeah, we'll do that. I think we both need some air."

The sheriff nods at us and excuses himself from the room leaving us alone. Rylee sits with her hands entwined with mine and a far away look in her eyes. 

I pull out my phone and text Wilson, telling him to meet us at the park with some food, to which he responds almost right away agreeing.

"Come on baby, Wilson and Sarah are going to meet us at the park."

Rylee doesn't respond, she just nods her head and stands up with me. We walk out to the car, and Rylee is silent the whole way to the park, she doesn't show any emotion until she reaches Sarah. The two girls embrace and Rylee sobs into her shoulder as Sarah soothes her.

Wilson and I watch on helplessly, wishing there was something we could do to help. But we both knew she needed a friend right now. Wilson and I set up the picnic table with the sandwiches and chips they brought before sitting down.

"How did court go?" Wilson asks me, breaking the tense silence.

"The sheriff said it was good and looked in our favor, but she hasn't talked to me since she left to courtroom."

"Give her some time Logan, this is hard for her."

I nod as the girls walk over to the picnic table and take their seats. 

I place my hand on Rylee's leg and give it a reassuring squeeze which earns me a small smile from her.

The rest of the afternoon is spent in the park with Wilson and Sarah until the Sheriff calls us back to the court. 

The jury had finally made a decision.