12

LOGAN

Sweat was beading off my forehead as dripping down my back as I ran across the field. My mind was plagued with reruns of my conversation with Thalia the other day.

"Willis!" Coach barks are me.

I slow my pace and turn my attention to him.

"Get your ass over here!" He snaps.

I wipe the sweat from my brow and jog over to meet with the rest of the team. I'm breathing heavy and my chest is heaving, I pushed myself til I had a stitch in my side.

"The last three practices have sucked, and if this is any indication of what our game will be like this weekend then you boys are gonna be fucked next practice."

Groans can be heard throughout the team and coach silenced them with a hard glare.

"Friday is the last game before the championship game. I need you boys to give me one hundred and ten percent if we want to stand a chance against Berkeley"

My mind wander from what the coach the saying, I couldn't help it. I was scatter brained and I couldn't stop it.

Thalia words haunted me, Wilson's advice was in the forefront of my mind, and for some unknown reason Rylee was stuck in my head.

She's officially been my roommate for a week and three days, and it's not going the way I thought it would. Living with Rylee is so different than living with Kelly. She's quiet and keeps to herself so much, sometimes I forget I even have a roommate. The only time I really see her is when she leaves for her classes in the morning. It was strange.

"Willis! Since you want to daydream, give me three laps now!" Coach barks at me.

I roll my eyes and start a slow jog along the track surrounding the football field.

"Faster Willis!"

I huff and pump my legs as my speed increases. The stitch in my side gave back with a vengeance and it was making it hard to breath.

My feet were pounding against the track and the sweat was stinging my eyes, but I kept running. I needed to find something to distract me from all my thoughts.

As I round the curve that leads back to the team I slow to a stop and bend over, placing my hands on my knees as I gasp for air.

"That's it for today hit the showers you boys fucking stink" coach says to us.

The team obliged and made their way into the locker room hollering and cheering.

"Willis I need to have a word with you"

I straighten my stance and stretch my muscles as my breathing became steady.

"What's up coach?"

He crosses his arms over his chest and lets out a heavy breath.

"You are one of the best players on this team Logan. You have a fully paid scholarship, you have great letters of recommendations from previous coaches and teachers, and I watched you play your winning game in high school."

I wasn't quite sure where he was going with this.

"You've never let me down before, but since this year started you haven't been at the top of your game. You aren't focusing, you're running the wrong plays, you're showing up late. What the hell happened to you?"

"I'm sorry coach, I'll do better."

"I hope so, because if this keeps up, I'm going to have to drop you from the team."

My eyes widened and fear shot through my body like a rocket.

"No please coach, don't drop me"

He shakes his head and lets out another breath.

"I don't want to Logan. But you aren't giving me much to work with. I need you to focus, this is your last warning. If we keep having problems then you leave me no choice"

"I'll focus I promise. I'll get my grades up and I'll focus."

He studies me for a moment before responding with a curt nod.

"I'm trusting you Logan, don't let me down"

"I won't sir"

"Okay. Now get out of here and get some sleep, practice is going to run long tomorrow and I have an announcement I have to make to the team."

"Yes sir"

Coach claps a hand on my shoulder before turning and walking towards the locker room.

I grab my bag off the bench and throw my shirt over my shoulder before I make the trek back to the dorms.

I pull out my phone and groan when I see the seven unread messages I have.

Kelly- Hey Logan! Just wanted to check up and see how things were, call me when you can!

Thalia- please Logan, im begging you. I need help.

I roll my eyes and delete her message before moving on the the next one.

Wilson- SOS

Wilson- OH MY GOD SHES GONE CRAZY!

Wilson- I SWEAR IM GOING TO GET MURDERED!

Wilson- LOGAN I NEED CHOCOLATE STAT! SARAHS FUCKING CRAZY!

I laugh at his message, that's what he gets. I send a quick reply to him before going to the last message.

Rylee- Would you mind giving me a ride to the store tomorrow? I'm in need of a few things.

I send Rylee a 'no problem' and turn my screen off as my attention goes to the quiet campus. It was late again and as much as I hated longer practices, I enjoyed the walk home after them. It was peaceful, tranquil, there was something about the crickets and the cool breeze that instantly relaxed me.

It gave me time to think and sort through my thoughts. I knew I was over Thalia, but the conversation we had replayed in my mind.

She called and asked for help because her boyfriend left her. She said she didn't have anybody else and that she needed me. I was all she had.

Then she had the nerve to ask me to come home. She wanted me to give up my scholarship for her, she wanted me to come help her. When I refused she started crying and it hurt to hear her sobs echo through the phone.

I don't know why she came to me. I wasn't going to help her, she made her own bed and now she has to lay in it. She needs to have consequences for her actions, and I wasn't going to be there to save her anymore.

Maybe that's what was wrong. I spent too much time trying to save her that I ignored everything she did. The lying, the deceiving, the cheating.

I finally make it to my dorm and remove my shoes and drop my bag by the door. I stalk to the bathroom and lock the door behind me, before stripping out of my clothes and turning on the hot water.

I step into the shower and let the water cascade down my body, relaxing the sore, over worked muscles in my back and legs.

I close my eyes and let the water pour down my face as I finally end my inner turmoil.

I needed to move on. I can't be the savior anymore.

Please excuse the typos and horrible grammar. It's currently 2:08 am and I'm so sleepy 😂

I wanted to finish this chapter up before I went to bed, I'm hoping to have a new update either tomorrow or Monday!