23

LOGAN

My eyes didn't leave Rylee until the curtains closed. I watched in awe, at how graceful she was, and how carefree she looked despite the threats for her life.

To anyone else, she looked honest. But to me, I saw the way her eyes scanned the crowd every time she danced, I saw the way tears built up and made her brown eyes red and glossy. I even noticed how her hands and legs shook and wobbled when she stood in the back.

I knew she was terrified and I hated myself for abandoning her. She needed me and I forced her to move out and fight her own battle.

I just hoped I didn't damage her more. Because despite my idiotic ways, I had fallen in love with her.

Leaving her in the locker room after she kissed me stabbed an burning sword through my heart. But that was the problem with love. It stabs you in the back when you get in too deep.

The truth is, I was terrified of getting my heart broken again, because with a girl like Rylee, I would never heal.

The thunderous claps coming from the crowd were enough to pull me out of my trance. I shoot to my feet and push through the crowd to get backstage.

The sweet smell of the bouquet I was holding was wafting into my nose and there was a something calming about it.

Wilson had trailed behind me, but left when we reached Sarah's dressing room. My brain was frazzled. I know she didn't need protection, but a part of me wanted to feel needed by someone.

I freeze when I see her name taped to the door.

I'm not ready for this.

I squeeze my eyes shut and force my brain to stop. I didn't want to think. I just wanted to show Rylee what she meant to me.

I raise my fist and open my eyes, before rapping my knuckles against the wood.

A very long and tense few minutes pass before I hear the shuffling of her feet on the other side of the door.

I take a deep breath as the barrier between us is removed and I'm face to face with her. The shock in her eyes was apparent.

Things didn't end well between us and here I am a month later outside her door, on the biggest night of her life. And I'm holding flowers.

I'm a fucking asshole.

"Logan?"

"Hey Rylee." Is all I could say. By brain had completely shut down once I saw her again.

"Um what are you doing here?" She asks in a tired tone.

I was a douche and wanted to make it up to you.

"We need to talk"

A shadow crosses her features and she crosses her arms over her chest.

"I think you've said all you needed too Logan" she states coldly.

"No I haven't."

"You haven't? You don't think pushing me away after I-" she pauses and tears her eyes away from me. "There's nothing I have to say to you Logan. You made it very clear where you stood and how you felt"

Shit. I could tell I was loosing her, I needed to do something.

"Listen Rylee, I was a dick. I know I was, I didn't treat you very well that last time we spoke"

She responds with a scoff "really? You think?"

"But just give me a few minutes to talk to you an-and apologize."

She raises an eyebrow at me and studies me briefly before she opens the door wider, silently telling me to come in.

I gather my nerves and step around her and into her dressing room. I don't pay much attention to the decor because I'm mainly focused on her. As she shuts the door, I lay the flowers on the coffee table.

Rylee turns to face me and despite how much she said she didn't want to see me, I could see in her eyes that she did. Her chocolate brown eyes held a storm of emotion in their irises and I knew that I had hurt her.

"Well? Are you gonna talk or just stand there?" She snaps.

"I know this is stupid and cliche but I want to start by saying how sorry I am."

She rolls her eyes and scoffs at me. "Sorry? Really Logan?"

"I know. I was a jackass. I'll admit it, but I had good reason."

She narrows her eyes at me, and I realize just how bad that sounded.

Rylee nods her head and sticks her tongue between her teeth and lip. "Good reason huh?"

I could sense the hurt in her voice, despite her efforts to hide it, I heard the crack in her voice.

"I-" I begin again but she cuts me off as tears brim her eyes.

"Just leave Logan" she states coldly.

I open my mouth to retaliate, but nothing comes. My mind was muddled all over again and I had no clue what to do now.