32

LOGAN

Rylee and I make our way down to my parents and the good mood I was in plummets when I see their faces. They were solemn and gloomy, I haven't seen my parents like this since my grandfather died last year.

"Ma? Pop? What's wrong?"

They both glance up at me and my mom tries to force a smile, while my dad focuses his attention in the couch.

"Your father and I have thought about this for a long time, and I know you aren't going to want to hear it. But it for the best."

Rylee squeezes my hand as my father speaks.

"We are so proud of you and your sister, and we have loved every moment of watching you both grow, but," dad says

"You are both adults and I mean Kelly is married and you're in California, we're in this big ol' house by ourselves and we get really lonely." My mom adds.

"We're selling the house Logan"

My stomach dropped into my feet.

"We were so hesitant about it honey, we know it isn't that hug if a deal to most people, but this is our home. This is where we raised you and Kelly, and where we watched you guys grow up. But it's time for us to move on."

"This place is to big for just the two of us."

"Where are you guys gonna go?" I ask, still fazed by their admission.

"We found an apartment in the city. It's in grandpas old building. The landlord gave us a good deal on it."

"Does Kelly know?"

My parents glance at each other before my mom answers.

"We were going to tell you both this trip, but she couldn't get the time off. We didn't want you to find out after it was all said and done"

I clasp my hands together and lean my chin on them. I didn't know how to process this. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but this is home. It's where I grew up. I had my first kiss on the front porch, and I scraped my knee on that damn built in table in the kitchen.

This place was my childhood. It was a safe haven for me. And now it was gone.

"Logan? Honey?"

I ignore my moms voice and storm back up to my room. I understand why they're selling the house, I just wish they weren't.

I clutch a pillow to my body and lay down on my bed as I stare at the fan spinning around and around on my ceiling. Those glow in the dark stars were still stuck on the arms of the fan from when I was eight and I never took them off.

I hope the family that moves in here has a child that can appreciate all the little things to love about this house. The creaky stairs, the old hollow tree in the background, and the not so hidden door in the kitchen.

The creak of my bedroom door pulls my attention away from the stars and to Rylee's brown eyes. She doesn't say anything to me, she just stalks over to the bed and lays down beside me snuggling into my side.

"I know it seems stupid. I know it's just a house, but I'm gonna miss this place" I mumble after a few minutes of silence.

"I know you will. It's not stupid Logan. This place was where your childhood existed, it's where you grew up, where you learned, and experienced things for the first time. It's not stupid and it's not just a house, it's a home" she responds leaning up on her elbow.

I tilt my head to gaze into her heart melting chocolate eyes, and tuck a stray piece of curly hair behind her ear. She leans down and places a gentle kiss on my forehead before laying her head on my chest.

"I love you you know that right?" I mumble as I comb my fingers through her hair.

"I know"

"How about we take a quick nap before we do anything else today?" She mumbles.

"Only if I get to be the little spoon"

"Deal" she replies with a chuckle.