30

LOGAN

The sun was shining and the birds were chirping. It was peaceful and I couldn't have been happier than I was watching Rylee sleep.

Her hair was strewn over the pillow, and it was obvious I was tugging on it last night, so were the love bites all over her shoulders and neck.

Oops

"Rylee" I whisper

She grumbles slightly and adjust her position so her back is facing me.

"Baby" I whisper again, ghosting kisses over her shoulders.

She turns to face me and flutters her eyes open. A smile graces her face as she leans in to kiss me.

Resting her cheek against my chest, she mumbles "can we just stay like this all day"

The thought makes me chuckle. "You have no idea how much I would love that. But I have to get to class and then I have practice at two"

She groans and buries her face into my chest more. I run my fingers along her back and through her hair as I gently massage her scalp.

"Can we stay until you need to go to class?" She grumbles.

I glance at my phone for the time before settling into the blankets. "I only have an hour" I tell her before I pull her closer to me.

I knew the events of last night were taking a toll on her. She hasn't seen or heard from her mother in a few years, then all of a sudden she gets ambushed.

"How are you feeling after yesterday?" I ask her

"I don't know how to comprehend it really. I didn't know who that woman was. My mother would never dress like that or act like that."

She lets out a sigh and sits up in the bed as she runs her fingers through her hair.

"Manman has always been materialistic, but she was  never such a-a bitch. Papa did everything he could to make her happy."

I sit up with her and rub her back soothingly as I watch her fight the tears.

"I guess when he chose to come to America manman was angry at him. She had a life back in Haiti, albeit not a nice one. They were poor and on the verge of being homeless before papa moved here. When I was born she became closed off and she enrolled me in dance when I was four. She also told me growing up that 'a lady should be graceful and delicate'."

I scrunch my eyebrows at that.

"She put you in dance because you weren't lady like? At four years old?"

"It's ridiculous right?" She says with a scoff before continuing.

"Thats when papa and her would get into fights all the time. He didn't want her pushing me into something I didn't like. The truth is I hated dance when I was little, manman forced me into it and never even had another option. I grew to love it over the years because it was the only thing that manman and I could do together. After she got mad at me for coming in third in a competition, papa and her started fighting even more. Eventually it led to them getting divorced along with other factors like manman sleeping with anything with two legs."

She rolls her eyes and puts her hair up in a quick bun before laying her head on my shoulder.

"Ever since Shiloh was born she doesn't want anything to do with me. I know it's not his fault, but I can't help and feel a little jealous of him. He's always had all her attention and she lets him do what he wants."

"Baby, if she doesn't realize how amazing, and talented, and passionate you are; then she doesn't deserve your tears. I know she's your mother and I know it's hard, but she isn't worth it. I mean hell, my mom would be more than willing to adopt you"

She laughs a little and lays back on the bed, pulling me with her.

"I'm sorry for dropping that all on you."

"I don't mind, I want you to talk to me about anything and everything you want too Rylee."

She smiles as me and leans in and kisses me.

"I love you" she tells me when she pulls away.

"I love you too, more than anything"

Her smile widens and she kisses me again.

"Why don't we go to my parents place this weekend? I know they'd love to see you especially since we've officially started dating"

"Really?" She asks as her eyes light up. "I would love that! I've never been to Colorado!"

"I'll call my folks on my way to class and make all the arrangements. You just worry about packing"

She squeals and bounces up and down on the bed before she leans down and kisses me again. I pull her on top of me and deepen the kiss.

"What would you say to another round?" She asks against my lips.

"Hell yeah"

Little bit of a backstory into Rylee's life!
If you were hoping for drama don't worry. There will be plenty within the next few chapters. I'll give you some hints.

Joel.

Prison.