9

LOGAN

I wasn't sure why Rylee had agreed so quickly to join me for breakfast, but I wasn't going to complain. I genuinely enjoyed her company.

She was the first girl in awhile that I could spend time with, without watching them twirl their hair around their freshly polished nails, and wear low cut shirts that exposed their boobs.

I enjoyed the attention from the girls, but I didn't want it all the time. I wanted to be able to joke around and have fun with someone without the obligation of fucking them.

We haven't spoken a word to each other since we sat down at the booth. The only time either of us spoke is when the waiter took our orders.

It was fucking weird.

A long tense silence stretched between us until the food is placed on the table. I glance at Rylee and see her watching me intently with her chocolate eyes.

"Something on your mind Rylee?" I ask as I pick a piece of chicken off my plate.

She quirks an eyebrow at me before her gaze switches to my plate.

"Chicken and waffles?" She asks

I reply with a nonchalant shrug. "It's a Midwest thing"

A small smile curves up her lips, causing a dimple to appear on her right cheek.

"So you have a sister?" She asks me.

I nod my head and finish chewing my food before I reply.

"Twin sister actually, she's six minutes older than me."

"What's she like?"

"A lot like our mom actually, she is strong and brave and I only wish I had a percent of the courage she had."

She tilts her head to the side slightly as a confused look etched it's way onto her face.

"What do you mean?"

I let out a sigh and put my fork down before crossing my arms over my chest.

"Kelly had a lot of -problems- when we were younger. She tried to kill herself a few times, she was so unhappy but she was always smiling. She hid it so well even I didn't know she was faking it. I almost lost her, I found her passed out with blood pooling around her. It fucking terrified me. I rushed her to the hospital and cried like a pussy as she was admitted. She ended up being released and I vowed I would never let her feel pain like that again."

I chuckle slightly as I recall Kelly's words to me.

"She's feisty though. She ended up dating my enemy behind my back and even though I treated them both like shit, she still forgave me. Hell I got her boyfriend arrested because I couldn't keep my mouth shut. Now their getting married in less than a month and I'm his best man"

I watch as her lips twitch into a grin that flashes her perfect teeth.

"That's really big of you Logan. How do you feel about him marrying your sister?" She asks me as she takes another bite of her waffle.

I shrug my shoulders. "If he makes her happy I don't care. Nobody deserves happiness more than Kelly. She's always been everyone's light, it's about time she found someone to be hers."

"It's hard trying to be perfect all the time, especially when it's expected of you." She states as a solemn look replaces her smile.

"You speaking from experience?" 

She bites her bottom lip and puts her attention on her plate briefly before glancing back at me.

"I'm an only child. My parents are from Haiti. They moved here when they found out they were having a baby. My papa wanted to make sure I was raised right, he always wanted me to be happy and he wanted to make sure I was taken care of. Manman wanted more than what papa could offer. He worked his ass off everyday, pulling double shifts and running out of overtime, just to make sure we had a house over our head."

She pauses and looks out the window of the diner longingly.

"It wasn't enough for manman. She left us when I was thirteen. She had gotten pregnant with my half brother and she left us. Papa misses her like crazy, and I know he blames himself for everything. Ever since manman left I've tried to be the perfect daughter, I took piano lessons, I learned to cook, I started dancing. I wanted her to come back, I wanted her to want me again. I tried to be what she wanted, but I was never enough."

The mood shifted between us as tears welled up in her eyes. I reach across the table and gently place my hand over hers.

"Nobody needs to be perfect Rylee, they can't be even if they tried. That's what makes us human. I learned that the hard way."

"Manman goes to every single program Shiloh has. She goes to every game, every parent teacher conference. She's always there for him."

"Why do you still dance then?"

She lifts her eyes back up to meet mine.

"I love it. It makes me feel free, and strong, like I can do anything"

"Then that's all that matters. If your mom can't see what an amazing daughter she has it's her loss. You are so talented and you give 110 percent into your performances, I could tell just from watching you one time."

I pause and glance down at my hand, which was still resting on hers. I pull my hand away and tuck it under my leg as I watch a blush explode onto her cheeks.

"Point is Rylee, we only have one life. What we do with that life is up to us, not our parents, not our siblings, but to us. Some of us are blessed with people around them that support our dreams, while others have to struggle for it. They fight with themselves and tear themselves down just to be better. It's not worth it. We all have the same ending, the only difference between us, is the journey that we make."

She shakes her head as a hint of a smile plays on her lips.

"Who knew you were such a poet Logan Willis"

I grin at her and settle back into my seat.

"What can I say? I'm a man of many talents"

I felt a spark inside as I watched her laugh. The way her eyes crinkled, and the way she covered her mouth with her hand. It was so pure and it was refreshing to be around someone so genuine.

I know I said I wouldn't get involved with her, but I definitely can be friends with her. Having someone around that I can be myself with, it make just help speed the process along.

I knew with Rylee's help, I might just be able to get over Thalia.

New update!

So sorry I haven't posted a chapter lately. I'm planning on spending some of spring break writing, that'll give me about a week to write more chapters.

We still have a long way to go in this book and things are going to be a rollercoaster!