6

RYLEE

I hated the look my father was giving me. He looked so disappointed in me and I couldn't look in his eyes. The sting my legs felt was nothing compared to the guilt that swarmed me as I stared into my fathers deep brown eyes.

"Pitit fi. Why? You told me you were okay." He says as he grips my hand and tears form in his eyes.

"I know papa. I'm sorry"

"I don't understand pitit fi" he mumbles

I pull my hand out of his and wipe the tears that began to pour out of my face.

"I came to this country for you to have a better life Rylee. I've done my best to raise you since your mother left and I must have gone wrong somewhere"

"Papa you didn't, you've been amazing. I just had a lapse of judgment, but I swear I'm fine"

My father sighs and rubs his stubbly chin anxiously. I hated that I did this to him. I didn't want him to worry about me when he already had so much shit going on.

"I know you're worried papa, but you don't need to be."

"I don't need to be!? Rylee you tried to end your life! How am I supposed to feel about that? Am I supposed to hand you the knife and tell you to go right ahead!?" My father yells.

I flinch at his tone and self consciously rub the sore skin on my thighs.

Just wait until he found out about those.

"No papa!"

I couldn't tell my dad the truth about what happened. He'd never let me go back to college. I loved dance and I loved UCLA. I didn't want to leave.

The door opening behind him, causes my father to stop what he was about to say to me.

Iris and Sarah walk in with worried expressions on their flushed faces.

"We got here as fast as we could." Iris pants as she approaches the hospital bed.

I force a weak smile at her and she grabs my hand and gives me a reassuring squeeze.

"Mr. Luma, why don't we go grab some coffee and a muffin? My treat?" Sarah says to my father

He glances at me briefly before giving a curt nod and following her out of the room.

"What happened Ry? I was gone for ten minutes" Iris asks me with a solemn expression on her face.

I could tell she felt guilty, but it wasn't her fault. None of this was.

"I was cornered. I didn't know what to do. If Mr. Henderson  didn't help me" I trail off unable to think about the what if's.

"Shhh. Rylee it is not your fault."

"But if I just-"

"No Rylee! It's not your fault he can't keep his dick in his pants or take no for an answer!"

"Iris-"

"Stop making excuses for him. He should fucking be in jail for the things he's done to you!"

I knew she was right but I didn't want him to suffer because I ratted him out.

"Mr. Henderson is going to go to the police. You know that right?"

I nod my head and focus my attention on my newly painted nails.