Welcome to the Neighborhood! (Jack Thompson)

Summary: Jack Thompson is moving into a suburban neighborhood to conduct surveillance on a man named Charles who lives across the street. Thompson needs information, but when his over-friendly next door neighbor drags him to a neighborhood barbecue he gets more than he bargained for.

A/N: This one's insanely long 😂 hope you guys like it!

***************

Thompson's POV

"So what, the two of you are really gonna leave me here to do all the work myself?" I asked, looking incredulously at Carter and Sousa.

"Yes, I believe that's what we said." Carter was perfectly calm when she spoke, and it just frustrated me more.

"Sorry Jack, but we've got a lot of other cases running," Sousa started. "You know as well as I do that we can't spare more than one of us for this stakeout. We barely have time to stay here and help you set up, let alone stay the whole stakeout."

I sighed and rolled my eyes, but he was right. The SSR was stretched thin with Dottie Underwood still on the loose and causing trouble, along with all the other problems we had to deal with daily. We really didn't have the resources to spare.

I'd never admit that to Sousa though.

"Fine. Guess I'll just have to pick up all the slack from you two lovebirds." I moved to one of the boxes of surveillance equipment sitting on the couch as my colleagues just rolled their eyes and blushed. I was about to tell them to get over themselves and start setting up when a knock came at the door. All three of us turned in that direction simultaneously.

"Who the hell could that be?"

****************

Y/N's POV

"Ruthie, did you see the moving trucks this morning?" I asked my neighbor over tea. I was visiting with her this morning, and when I was leaving my house I noticed people going into the house next to mine. It had been empty and on the market for almost a month now, but it looked like someone finally bought it.

"I did! Have you met the new neighbors yet?" she asked.

"No, I haven't had the chance to go over today."

"I wonder what they're like? I hope they're nice. What if it's some crazy old man or a family with a bunch of monstrous children or—"

"Ruthie, I'm sure it's going to be fine! I'm sure they're perfectly nice. In fact, I think I'll make some cookies and go over later today to say hi."

"Ha! Good luck. And let me know how it goes, okay? I wanna know everything about these people, whoever they are."

"Alright, Ruthie, I promise," I chuckled. I sipped my tea and we moved on to talking about other things, like the weather and Ruthie's husband. The conversation turned to my love life, and more specifically Ruthie urging me to find a man, so I gave some dodgy answers and excused myself at the first opportunity. I wasn't against dating or finding the right guy, but I had other things in life to worry about, you know?

Ruthie certainly didn't. And I wasn't about to waste my breath and time trying to explain it to her.

I had cookies to make.

****************

I decided to go for a plate of classic chocolate chip cookies. I already had all the ingredients, and I started on them as soon as I got home. Once they were done, I arranged them nicely on a plate and headed over to meet my new neighbor.