The Right Moves (Sam Wilson)

Requested on Tumblr, also written for Fictober, with prompt number 5: "I'm not saying I told you so..."

Summary: Y/N has had a thing for Sam since they joined the team. They get along great, with the same sense of humor and their ability to tag-team-tease Bucky. But when Bucky takes a shot back, their friendship might finally turn into something else.

****************

"Let's go Bucky, get it into gear!" yelled Sam. I clapped and cheered next to him as we watched our two friends square off in the middle of the room.

Bucky, Sam, and I usually ran training sessions in the morning, but today, Steve had stopped in to join us. He and Bucky were doing our final round of sparring, while Sam and I heckled.

"Shut up!" Bucky yelled back at us. He only took his focus off Steve for a second, but it was enough for Steve to get a few solid hits in on him.

"Keep your guard up a little higher!" Sam called.

"Yeah, what Sam said! And watch that left foot, it's a tell!" I seconded. Bucky just ignored us both, but I could see Steve grinning. One of his favorite things about training with us was having two extra people to help mess with Bucky.

Despite our heckling, Bucky managed to stayed focused on Steve. As much as we liked to tease him, he was actually an incredibly competent fighter. Still, after a few minutes of back and forth, Steve managed to beat him and the two relaxed their fighting stances. They both headed over to the benches to grab water, and Sam and I followed.

"Dude, what the hell was that?" asked Sam. He and I came to a stop in front of Bucky, and Bucky just turned to us with a deadpan expression. "We said from the sidelines that you needed to keep your guard higher, and you didn't. I'm not saying I told you so..."

"I am. I'm saying I told you so," I broke in with a grin. Steve laughed, but Bucky just glared.

"You know, I probably would've been able to hold my own a little better if you two hadn't been distracting me for the entire fight."

"Okay, sure. Whatever you need to tell yourself," said Sam. I laughed, and he turned to me with a big smile. We high-fived, and even Bucky's scoff from beside us couldn't kill my mood.

"Alright, laugh it up you two..." he grumbled. I just grinned back at him.

"Thanks! We will."

"You know, it might stop—or at least let up a little—if you got on our level," teased Sam. "You know, skill-wise and in general."

"On your level, huh?" muttered Bucky. "Well for two self-proclaimed super agents you're pretty damn oblivious."

"Oh yeah?" I challenged. "And what the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"It means the two of you have been flirting like a bunch of idiots for months now," said Bucky, standing up straight and raising his voice to its normal volume. "And we're all sick and tired of watching you dance around each other, so if you could step it up a little, that would be great."

I was completely speechless, and based on the dead silence next to me, I figured Sam felt the same. Now it was Bucky's turn to look at us and chuckle before heading out of the room, Steve practically cackling and following after him.

My heart started beating out of my chest, especially once Sam and I were alone. I'd had a thing for him pretty much since I'd joined the team, but I'd never been able to bring myself to really do anything about it. And now, thanks to Bucky, Sam knew.

"You have a thing for me?" asked Sam, his voice finally breaking the silence. I turned to him slowly, not quite sure how to react. He stared at me, his gorgeous eyes making me want to melt into the training mats below us.

"Uh... it's just a stupid crush, I've been working on getting over it..." I mumbled. Damn Bucky. I found myself looking absolutely everywhere in the training room except at Sam, but that changed when his hand gently came to rest under my chin and turned my head to face him.

"I've had a thing for you for so long, I've started to go a little crazy," he said, his small laugh and smile making my heart explode.

"...Really?"

"Yeah, really! You're smart, funny, and easily the best looking person on this team. And you give Barnes shit with the best of 'em, which is a serious plus."

I laughed, and Sam's smile only widened. He moved his hand from my chin to wrap around my waist, the other one quickly following. I leaned into him, his smile mirrored on my own face.

"You know, you're a pretty good catch yourself," I said.

"Oh, I know."

We shared another laugh at that, and then Sam's eyes glanced down to my lips. I could literally feel my heart skip a beat.

"So... can I kiss you now, or do you want to wait until after our first date?"

"I've already waited plenty of time," I said, leaning up to close some of the distance between us. Sam grinned, then wasted no time coming the rest of the way. We kissed in the middle of the empty training room, and as soon as our lips met, all my other surroundings faded away.

Sam was the best kisser. I'd always thought he might be, but now this was absolute proof.

We stayed like that for a long time, and when we finally pulled apart, we were smiling at each other like idiots. And neither of us cared.

"Wow," I breathed. Sam nodded.

"Wow is right. We waited way too long to do that."

"I agree."

Sam leaned back in and gave me one last short kiss, then took my hand and started gently pulling me out of the training room.

"So, where am I taking you for our first date?" he asked.

"Maybe one of Bucky's favorite places? Since he's technically the reason we're finally going on a date in the first place?" We paused and looked at each other, then spoke at the same time: "Nah."

"We're not giving him that kind of credit," said Sam.

"Absolutely not," I agreed.

"I'm sure we'll figure something out. We have plenty of time to explore all the places this city has to offer."

"Damn right."

We shared a smile, then headed off into the compound hand in hand. First we'd find some lunch, then we'd find a place for our first date, and finally we'd go back to tormenting Bucky like we'd been trying to do in the first place.

I couldn't have asked for anything better.