Sight (Jimmy Woo)

****WandaVision based! No major spoilers past the first four episodes, but if you don't want some information spoiled, don't read it!****

Summary: Y/N is a SWORD agent who went into the Hex after Monica. She came out before Monica, managing to walk away in order to save both their covers within Wanda's world of Westview. Part of walking out on her own, however, included a change she wasn't expecting. It's already a lot to cope with, but Y/N won't be alone, thanks to the kind heart and soft smiles of a certain FBI agent.

****************

I clenched my teeth as the SWORD doctors scanned my head again, looking for anything wrong with me after I'd entered and walked out of the Westview Anomaly. Monica was still inside, and I'd gone in trying to find her, but I'd failed. I'd almost blown both our covers in there, so I'd run to the edge of town and managed to leave, something no one else had been able to do.

I'd spent hours debriefing with acting Director Hayward, one of my least favorite people I'd met since coming back from the blip. And now, it looked like I'd be spending hours in this medical tent, tearing my hair out and hoping nobody would notice something had changed.

I wasn't entirely sure what it was, but there was no denying I was wasn't the same after coming out of the Hex. I could see... differently than I'd been able to before. Past the people around me, between and beyond them, to the things no one noticed. The dust particles floating through the air, the grass moving like a wave in the wind, the energy buzzing around the Hex. It was strange, but not necessarily bad. I just didn't want to spend days or weeks sidelined while the people around me tried to figure it out.

As soon as the doctors moved away from where I lay on the bed, I sat up. There was enough going on that they might let me go, just to lighten their own workloads.

"Alright, nothing's coming up when we try to get readings from our scans," said the lead medical officer, turning to me with blank papers in her hands. "We're going to need to try again."

I sighed heavily and laid back down without protest. It went on like that a few more times, until I'd finally had enough. After the fourth round of blank results, I stood up, pushing past all the doctors and not caring if I got in trouble for it later. I needed to get out.

I walked straight out the doors of the base, headed for a patch of grass away from the temporary base. The universe seemed to swirl around me as I went, and it was beautiful, but it was also making me dizzy. I got just far enough away from the base that I knew no one would notice or bother me, and then I sat down in the grass and stared at the world around me.

Everything seemed more vibrant, more alive. Wanda's hex was crackling with beautiful energy, and I could see the bugs moving through the grass, like their own bustling city. Eventually, I laid back and looked up at the stars, and I saw beyond what the atmosphere usually allowed to the swirling galaxies and nebulas beyond.

I completely lost track of how long I was out there. Time just seemed meaningless, like such a small thing, in the face of the endlessly big and ever expanding universe.

"Hey."

A voice snapped me out of my trance, and I turned to see an agent I didn't recognize standing above me, a blanket and two mugs in his hand. I was surprised to see an FBI patch on his jacket, instead of the SWORD logo plastered on just about everything else.

"Sorry to bother you, it's just... I thought you could use a blanket or something, sitting out here alone."

I blinked a few times, my focus slowly narrowing from the vastness of the world to just the agent in front of me. I smiled.

"Thank you." He smiled back, passing me the blanket and one of the mugs. Instead of sitting down, he shifted on his feet a little, seeming unsure whether I wanted company. I moved to lay the blanket out, then sat back down on it and patted the space next to me. "Care to join me?"

"Sure," he said, relief evident in his face as he eased onto the grass. He held out a hand for me to shake. "I'm Jimmy, by the way. Jimmy Woo."

"Y/N Y/L/N. Thanks for the tea."

"Sure thing." We settled in on the blanket, sitting there in comfortable silence for a few beats before Jimmy spoke again. "So... I have to ask... are you okay?"

I turned to look at him, the infinite universe narrowing again as I saw his kind, handsome face.

"I... I don't know."

He leaned forward, looking concerned, but he didn't say anything. He just waited for me to share what I wanted, without pushing. I wasn't exactly sure why, since he was still a federal agent, but I found myself trusting him.

"Something happened to me when I came out of the Hex," I explained. "I don't really know what, but... I can see things now. Like, weird things."

"What kind of weird things?"

I sighed, turning my attention back to the world around us before looking to the sky. The same infinite stretch of universe returned, and I quickly got lost in it. How could I explain something like that?

"Start small," came Jimmy's voice from beside me. "Sometimes it helps to focus on small things that are easier to explain, and then get bigger."

I smiled, but didn't turn my eyes away from what I was seeing.

"I see... a star. A star exploding millions of miles away. And a swirling black hole. And an entire galaxy sitting out there, completely untouched." I turned my eyes back to earth, focusing on the earth and the hex instead. "I see bugs swarming around in colonies, energy radiating off the hex like the coronas of the sun, the trees swaying like waves in an ocean. I see... everything."

"Wow," Jimmy breathed, his voice quiet. "That's incredible."

I nodded slowly, not quite sure if I agreed yet. I already missed the simplicity of normal sight, without all this other shit going on.

"Sorry," he said after a few beats of silence from me. "I realize it's probably a little less cool to actually live with. It's just... magical, to be able to see all of it. Hopefully a lot of it's beautiful."

I smiled, mostly to myself, and leaned towards Jimmy. I rested my head on his shoulder and tried to focus on the little things, like he said. It really was beautiful. And it was a little less overwhelming, when I managed to dial my attention in on just one or two things.

"Thank you," I said, barely above a whisper. Jimmy wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer to him.

"Glad I could help."

We stayed like that for a long time, literally leaning on each other and taking in the night. I felt calm and at peace for the first time since stepping out of Westview, and I knew I had Jimmy to thank.

I was just working up the courage to say something, to act on the new feelings stirring in my stomach, when something closer to the SWORD camp caught my eye. The Hex was fizzling in one spot, worse than it had before.

"Do you see that?" I asked Jimmy, sitting up as I stared at the growing agitation in the energy field.

"What?"

"That-"

Before I could find the words to explain, the disturbance magnified, and a body shot out of the boundaries of the Hex. Even from all the way over here, I could tell it was Monica, free from Westview but apparently not of her own volition.

"Whoa. Now I see it," said Jimmy, rushing to stand and taking my hand to help me up.

"It's Monica," I said, not taking my eyes off the spot she'd landed in the grass. "C'mon."

We quickly collected the blanket and mugs, working like a well-oiled machine before racing back towards the SWORD base. With all the action and fallout that was sure to come from Monica's return, I knew anything else between Jimmy and I would have to wait.

But, I also knew it would happen. One of the perks of my sight, I supposed, as I noticed the look he gave me before we started racing across the field, and noticed the way he stared at me for the rest of the night.

Maybe he was right. This sight could be a gift after all.