Lover (PeggySous)

Written for day four of Peggysous Week on Tumblr!

Day Four Prompt: Song Fics

Specific Prompt: Lover by Taylor Swift. This is pretty loosely based on that song, and I've never written a song fic before so I don't know if that's how it works, but either way it's too bad because I decided to do this lol.

Summary: Peggy and Daniel are celebrating their first wedding anniversary. They planned for a romantic, quiet, intimate night with just the two of them, but of course with friends as crazy as theirs, nothing like that is ever going to go according to plan.

****************

"Thanks for coming by, we hope to see you again real soon!"

The waitress of Peggy and Daniel's favorite restaurant waved as the couple walked out the door, arm in arm. They turned up their coat collars against the chilly January wind as they hailed a cab.

"That was a lovely dinner, wasn't it?" asked Peggy, smiling at Daniel as the pair climbed into the cab.

"It was fantastic," he agreed. "Perfect place to get dinner on our anniversary."

Peggy smiled at him and leaned over to give him a kiss as the driver pulled away from the curb. The pair had been married a year now, and had been completely happy almost every step of the way. They'd decided to spend their first wedding anniversary by getting a nice dinner together, before going home and relaxing by the fire as they shared a bottle of wine.

It was the break they both needed from the absolute chaos in their daily lives.

The pair walked up their front porch arm in arm after the taxi dropped them off, enjoying the crisp night air and the fresh snow on either side of them. Daniel turned the key in the door, Peggy following right behind him as they escaped into the warmth of their house.

"Alright, you grab the wine and I'll get the fire started?" asked Daniel.

"You have a deal," Peggy replied with a smile. They took a few steps into the house together, Daniel preparing to turn right into the living room while Peggy would continue straight to the kitchen. Their plans changed, however, as a light clicked on in the living room, making Peggy and Daniel freeze in their tracks.

"HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!" called a chorus of familiar voices. Peggy and Daniel turned to see all their closest friends standing in the living room, beaming at them with gifts in hand and decorations all around.

"You didn't really think we'd let this anniversary go by without celebrating, did you?" demanded Angie.

"Yeah. Especially after you tortured everyone in the office with all your dancing around one another for so long," added Rose with a grin. Daniel and Peggy shared a long-suffering look and heaved matching sighs, but they were smiling when they turned back to their friends. The idea was sweet, and everyone was so excited Peggy and Daniel couldn't bring themselves to stop on their friends' excitement.

"Here, I brought the best wine from my cellar," said Howard, the first of the guests to move after launching the initial surprise. He quickly made for a bottle opener. "Let's crack it open and toast to the happy couple!"

"The party was largely Mr. Stark's idea," said Jarvis, a smile on his face as he and Ana moved to stand with Peggy and Daniel. "Although, I did put in my own two-cents worth and offer some help."

"Yes. I mentioned it might not be... traditional... for a married couple's friends to throw them an anniversary party, but... Howard and my husband insisted," said Ana, giving Peggy and Daniel an apologetic look. The three shared a secretive smile, and then Peggy turned to her long-time friend.