Peony pt. 2 (PeggySous)

Summary: Steve has returned from the future, and after a short rough patch when he first arrived, he, Peggy, and Daniel have quickly become a fast group of friends. Steve's been settling in well, and with an old SSR friend coming into town for a visit, Peggy, Daniel, and Steve are ready to give Jack Thompson the surprise of his life.

******************

"Alright, we'll see you in an hour," said Peggy into her house telephone. She exchanged goodbyes with Jack Thompson, the man on the other end, then turned to her boyfriend with a massive grin. "Everything's going according to plan."

"Excellent. You wanna go get Rogers and I'll start dinner?"

"Sounds like the perfect plan."

She leaned in and gave Daniel a quick kiss, then headed upstairs to their guest room. The one and only Steve Rogers had returned from the future, and after getting past a little initial awkwardness when Steve met Daniel, the three had become good friends. Steve had been staying with Peggy and Daniel while he readjusted to the time period, and they'd just found him a house down the block to move into. He was going to move out tomorrow morning, but first, the trio was going to prank Chief Jack Thompson of the New York SSR.

The Chief was in LA for a mostly work visit, but since he had become friends with Daniel and Peggy he usually stayed with them when he was in town. He'd been planning the trip for a month, and for the past week Peggy and Daniel had been planning his arrival dinner.

They were going to mess with him better than ever before, with the help of a certain not-so-dead superhero legend.

"Steve?" called Peggy, knocking on the door.

"Come on in Peg!"

She pushed open the door to find Steve packing the last of his stuff into a suitcase. He hadn't come back with anything other than the clothes he was wearing, and after Peggy had spent some time teasing him about his planning, she and Daniel had taken Steve out to do some much needed shopping. After a few conversations, Steve had decided to accept an offer to join the LA SSR, and although it had only been a week he'd adjusted fairly well.

"You look like you're doing well in here," mused Peggy, scanning the bags Steve had packed.

"Yup. Just about ready to go." He shoved the last trunk shut with a little help from his super strength, then stood and grinned at Peggy. "Thanks again for all the help getting back into the swing of the forties."

"I'm happy to help," said Peggy with a smile. "Now, if you're done up here, we're needed in the kitchen. Thompson's going to be here in an hour and we still need to plan exactly how we want this evening to look."

"You know, I feel a little bad messing with this guy," mused Steve as he and Peggy headed out of the guest room and back downstairs. "Especially since he's going to have to sleep on the couch tonight, since I don't move out until tomorrow."

"Oh, he'll be fine. Once you meet him you'll see that he needs people to mess with him like this," said Peggy, waving Steve off. "It keeps him from regressing to the horrible attitude he used to have."

Steve just chuckled as they made it to the kitchen, where Daniel was hard at work preparing dinner. Peggy and Steve joined him, and the three worked like a well-oiled machine.

"Alright Rogers, I'm thinking you start out of the room," started Sousa. "We let Thompson think everything's normal, and then you come carrying the salad into the dining room. And then Jack drops his water or something."

Peggy laughed, and it was verging on a true cackle. "I like that idea."

"Whatever you two say," said Steve, grinning as he tossed the salad. As much as he missed the present sometimes, it was nice for him to be back with people who didn't think of him as the responsible one.