Plan B (Daniel Sousa)

Prompt: "How about you trust me for once?"

Summary: Reader is a friend of Peggy's who's been on the team at the SSR for a few months. She hasn't really bonded with any of the men at the agency, except Thompson, who's her stupid hotshot mission plan buddy. She also spends a fair amount of time with Daniel, but reader hasn't gotten to bond with Agent Sousa as much. That might change drastically when the four go out on a mission to try and recover some more of Howard's stolen tech.

Written for Day Twenty-Six of Fictober on Tumblr!

****************

"Y/N?"

I looked up from the papers I'd been pouring over to see Peggy standing in front of my desk. I'd been squinting at the handwriting on the papers for a few hours, holding the pages only a few inches from my face, so I had to blink a few times before she came into focus.

"Hey Peg," I finally said, stretching and trying to shake off some of my exhaustion. "What's up?"

"We have a mission. A bit more of that stolen technology of Howard's finally resurfaced, and we need to go in and recover it."

"We meaning you and me?" I asked hopefully, knowing we wouldn't get that lucky.

"Yes, plus the boys."

I sighed. I liked Jack, and Daniel was nice, but it was easier to do missions when it was just me an Peggy.

"Oh relax," said Peggy, rolling her eyes teasingly. "We'll send you and Jack off together and you can go be reckless mavericks together."

"Peggy, you know me too well," I said with a grin. "When are we leaving?"

"Forty minutes."

"Alright. I gotta get this stuff cleaned up, and then shall we commandeer the men's locker room?"

"Sounds like a plan."

****************

After I shoved all my papers back into my desk, Peggy and I took over the locker room for the tenth time that month. We kept telling Jack he needed to build one for the women, and we were going to get him to listen to us one way or another.

Once we were all changed, we piled into a car and headed to the last known location of the Stark Tech. It was in a barn far out of town, and as far as we knew a buyer would be coming to pick it up tomorrow. Which was why we were going after it tonight.

"Geeze Jack, could you be a worse driver?" I growled, holding the seat in front of me as the car bounced and bumped along the road.

"It's not me, it's this paving job. There's a pothole every few feet."

"You could always try slowing down," Daniel ground out from his seat in the front.

"Come on Sousa, where would be the fun in that?"

Daniel and Peggy both shook their heads, but I just grinned. Out of all the men at the SSR, I was the closest to Jack, which I never would've seen coming. There was just something about our mutual reckless action plans that made it easy to bond.

"Alright, we're here," said Jack as he pulled the car into a clump of bushes and shut it off. "Let's go."

Without another word, the four of us piled out and started creeping towards the barn. We'd parked far enough away that no one would hear our engine or see our headlights, so it was a bit of a hike. Finally, the old building came into sight.

We crept closer, being careful to stay out of sight. There were stacks and stacks of hay in front of the barn, which gave us plenty of cover. We stopped behind a wagon about a dozen feet from the barn doors, crouching down to use it for cover.