The Night Shift (PeggySous)

Written for day three of Peggysous Week on Tumblr!!

Day Three Prompt: Life Moments or Missing Scenes

Specific Prompt: A missing scene where Daniel and Peggy work the night shift together, inspired by a Jack Thompson x Reader fic of mine called "Kitty Captain". Requested by srisrusri3292 , this is Daniel and Peggy's side of that night.

Summary: Jack begged Peggy to take his shift for the night so he could keep plans with his girlfriend to have dinner and meet her new cat. Peggy agreed, mostly because she'd be sharing the night shift with Daniel, although of course she'd never admit that. What starts as a productive night of work quickly devolves as Peggy decides it's time for her and Daniel to force Thompson off the high horse he's been riding and bring him back to reality, and have some fun doing it.

****************

"Remind me again why you agreed to take Thompson's shift?" asked Daniel, looking up from his paperwork and across the desk to Peggy. "Not that I'm complaining, of course. You're much better company than he is."

Peggy shrugged. "I decided it was a good opportunity to take some extra responsibility around here. Besides, I like Jack's girlfriend. She wants him to meet her new cat tonight, so who would I be to say no to that?"

Daniel chuckled as he turned back to his papers. "It's a little hard to imagine Thompson making friends with a cat."

"Well, I suppose he'll have to now," said Peggy with a sly smile. "I can't imagine Jack's girlfriend would get rid of the cat if she were forced to pick."

She and Daniel shared a laugh, then returned to their work in comfortable silence. They stayed that way for a while, until Daniel got to a file he needed to cross-reference with another file.

"Hey Peggy, do you have the file from the mission you and Jack did over in Russia?"

"No, I gave it to Thompson last week for working on the Underwood case," said Peggy. She finished writing the sentence she was in the middle of, then looked up at Daniel. "Why, do you need it?"

"Yeah, but don't worry, I'm sure it's in his office. I'll go grab it."

Peggy nodded and returned to her work as Daniel stood and crossed the room. He got to Thompson's office door and moved to turn the handle and enter, but it didn't budge. Daniel ran into the closed door as the lock refused to turn.

"Daniel? Are you alright?" asked Peggy, her head snapping up at the sound of her coworker hitting the door. Daniel was bright red as he turned to her.

"It's locked," he said.

Peggy quickly raised a hand to her mouth, barely stifling a snort-laugh. Daniel gave her a disapproving look, which only made Peggy laugh all over again.

"Alright, laugh it up," said Daniel, making his way back over to the desk they'd been working at and scanning for a key. "While you're busy making fun of me, I'll try to find a way to actually keep doing our jobs."

Peggy just grinned as Daniel continued to search for a key. After a few minutes with no success, he straightened with a hand on his hip and looked at Peggy.

"Do you know where he put his key?"

"No idea," she said, pushing back from the desk and standing. "Why do you think he decided to lock up? He really should trust us more than that by now."

Daniel shrugged. "He probably wasn't thinking. He was too busy rushing out of the office to go meet his girlfriend's cat."

Peggy scoffed, then did her own quick search of the desk. When she came up as empty handed as Daniel, she turned to look at him.