Assistant (Daniel Sousa)

Written for Agent Carter Bingo on Tumblr, hosted by @agentcarterbingo and running to September! Go check it out!

Square filled: Howard Stark

Summary: Y/N is Howard Stark's assistant, which is never a boring job. They're in the middle of tearing their hair out trying to manage his crazy schedule when a surprise visit from a certain SSR agent shakes up their day.

****************

"Dammit Howard..." I muttered to myself as I stared at the three calendars in front of me. As Howard Stark's assistant, one of my many jobs included trying to manage his absurd schedule. And for what felt like the thousandth time this week, he'd overbooked himself without talking to me at all.

I sighed and scratched my head as I tried to figure out how to make everything work. My life would be a lot easier if I could just cancel some of his dates and force him to focus on more important things, but I knew that'd never fly. I'd just have to find some workarounds for his business meetings, and maybe send in an actor who looked like him for a few social commitments.

I'd just gotten into the zone and finally started to make some progress when I heard a knock at the door.

"Ugh, one minute!" I called, frantically erasing a large pencil mark that I'd accidentally scribbled across the page when the knock startled me. I brushed off the eraser shards, then stood and headed for the door. My hair was a mess, my skirt was askew, and I'm sure my makeup looked terrible, but I was too tired to care.

At least, I was too tired to care until I opened the door to find one of the most handsome men I'd ever seen. He was a little taller than me with brown hair and warm brown eyes, and he wore a yellow sweater vest with his suit. He leaned against a crutch with his left arm and held up a badge with his right.

"Hello there," he said, clearing his throat and blushing a little at my appearance. I was confused for a second, until I realized that I was answering Howard Stark's door. He probably thought we'd been... oh God.

"Hi!" I said, frantically trying to fix my hair. "Uh, my name's Y/N. I'm Mr. Stark's personal assistant. He's actually not home right now though, so, I don't know if I can help you..."

"He's not home?" asked the guy, looking surprised. I shook my head, and a little bit of the blush started to fade out of his cheeks. "Well do you know where he is? Or when he might be back?"

"Uh... that depends."

"On?"

"On who you are and why you're here."

"Oh!" The guy seemed to remember himself, and he flashed me his badge again before tucking it into his pocket. "Agent Daniel Sousa with the SSR. Pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise, I hope," I said. He extended his hand for a shake, and I took it. "Uh... what exactly do you want to talk to Mr. Stark about?"

"We found some suspicious tech on a recent assignment, and none of our scientists know what to make of it. We need a second opinion."

"Oh! Okay, great. That's good to hear. So it's not because he's wanted?"

"What? No. Should he be wanted?"

"No, of course not," I said, waving him off. "And it's not because the SSR thinks Howard's guilty of something and is trying to dig up dirt, or because they want to pin something on him that he definitely didn't do?"

"...No?"

"Great! He should be back in half an hour. You're welcome to come inside and wait," I said, stepping back and holding the door open. Daniel just stood there staring at me, clearly confused. After a second, he took a few cautious steps forward and into the house. I shut the door behind him, shot him a smile, then headed back into the kitchen where I'd been working.