The Truth (Peggy Carter)

Written for Agent Carter Bingo on Tumblr! Run by @agentcarterbingo and running through August, go check it out!

Square Filled: "Tell me the truth."

Summary: Peggy and Y/N have been dating for a few months, and everything's been perfect. Well, almost perfect. As much as Y/N loves Peggy, she's noticed enough strange things to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Peggy is hiding something big. And now, she's decided it's time to sit down and have a talk about just what that thing might be.

***************

I opened the door to my room at the Griffith at the sound of a commotion in the hallway. I'd heard Angie Martinelli yelling and slamming doors, and I also thought I'd heard my girlfriend Peggy's voice calling after her.

When I looked out into the hallway, however, there was no one in sight. I took a deep breath, briefly debating whether to go back into my room and just go to sleep.

Peggy and I had been dating for a few months, after Angie had helped set us up. She'd moved into the Griffith and across the hall from me about a week ago, and I thought everything was perfect. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Peggy had been weirdly distant lately, brushing off Angie and I or completely avoiding us. I had no doubt that the commotion in the hallway came from Peggy doing it again to Angie.

I sighed. I cared about Peggy, a lot. And if I wanted to keep her in my life (which I did), then I needed to fight for her. That meant going over there and trying to talk to her, even if it was ten o'clock and all I wanted to do was go to sleep.

I closed the door to my apartment and crossed the hall to knock on Peggy's. I heard a thump from inside, followed by loud shuffling as she called through the door.

"Just a second!"

I shook my head. Peggy had something seriously strange going on in her life, and I'd been pretending not to notice almost the entire time we'd known each other. I was starting to think that needed to come to an end.

After a few more seconds, Peggy opened the door in her bathrobe, looking flustered. She smiled when she saw me, but I could still see some stress written on her face.

"Hello darling," she said breathlessly. "What's going on?"

"I was about to ask you the same question," I said, pushing past her and through the door. I could tell she didn't want me in there, but I pushed through anyway. That was more of an Angie move than I usually pulled, but Peggy and I seriously needed to talk.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry, but now is really not a good time..." she said, hovering by the still open door with her arms crossed over her chest.

"I figured, since I heard you throw Angie out," I said. Peggy looked surprised, but I just continued. "Peg, I really, really like you. You're the coolest, most wonderful person I've ever been with. But it's ten o'clock at night, and you're trying to rush the people you care about out of here like you're late for a job interview. I'm not an idiot, I know there's something you're not telling me. Something big. Tell me the truth."

"Y/N..."

"No, hold on. Let me finish." Peggy sighed, but nodded at me all the same. I took a deep breath, trying to summon the courage for what I was about to say. "I... I love you, Peggy Carter. And it's okay if you don't feel the same way. And we haven't really been dating that long in the grand scheme of things, so you're entitled to some privacy, Peg, if there's stuff you don't want to tell me. But I care about you, and I want to be around for the long haul. So if there's a big part of your life you're not telling me about, I'd really like to be let in on the secret."