Chapter 17

Benjamin had been literally counting the days to his wedding with Maru. At sa bawat araw na lumilipas ay mas lalo lamang siyang nagiging excited. Mas hands on pa nga yata siya kesa sa bride pagdating sa pag-aasikaso ng mga detalye sa nalalapit nilang kasal. He wanted everything in order, from the small details to the important ones. He just didn't want to mess up.

He didn't care about the money that he would be spending. He had actually already splurged a big amount. As long as the wedding would successfully push through, money was never an issue. He was trying to pull off the grandest wedding he could offer to Maru. Tama naman ito. Minsan lamang silang magpakasal kaya dapat itodo na nila. They would be building and collecting memories together, and he just wanted the best life could offer.

A week was left before their big day, and it seemed that everything was in order. Mga maliliit na detalye na lamang ang kanilang aasikasuhin. But the church, the reception venue, the entourage and the number of guests were already taken cared of. Halos ay kapamilya at kakilala lamang nila ang dadalo. He had already urged Maru to invite some people even if she wan't really close to them, but she wanted the wedding to be intimate. That was why he also cut down some of their guests coming from his side. He only invited his immediate family, relatives, and closest friends. He had a meeting with the wedding coordinators in his office a while ago. And he was pleased with the developments of the event.

Tumuloy na siya sa Le Verve pagkagaling niya sa opisina. Lately, his mother voiced her frustrations about him not going home to their mansion anymore. Malapit na raw siyang mag-asawa at ilang araw na lang siyang mananatili sa bahay nila ay hindi pa niya magawa. Halos ay sa La Verve na kasi siya tumutuloy, kasama si Maru. He loved sleeping with her, cuddling her soft body against him for the whole duration of the night. Love was really a crazy thing. It made him do unimaginable things. It made him contented with things that he thought were mediocre before. Sleeping with a woman without having sex for instance. Yes, they make out, but he knew now how to control himself. For the sake of Maru, the love of his life. Tama nga ang sinasabi nila. Kapag mahal mo ang isang tao ay nirerespeto mo rin ito. That was what he felt for Maru. He loved her so respected her principles and beliefs in life.

Napangiti na lamang siya nang maalala ang kasintahan. He was now in the elevator, and he was grinning like an idiot. He had just been away from her for a few hours, yet he felt as if it was already eternity. He was longing to see her, and gave her a tight hug and a deep, passionate kiss when he comes home. Maru had been a constant fixture in his life now, the one thing that could make his blood rush in an instant, his heart, thump like crazy. She was his happiness, his life's excitement. Truly, his life had never been the same again after their paths crossed, after she became his. Nagkaroon ng bagong kulay ang kanyang mundo. And right now, he was a picture of contentment.

And he knew that he would even be happier after they're married. And he just couldn't wait. Kung pwede nga lamang na hilahin niya ang mga araw para bukas ay kasal na nila ni Maru ay gagawin niya. He just couldn't wait for the moment that he could shout to the whole world that Maru was already his wife, and that she would finally be his – body and soul.

Tahimik ang unit niya nang makarating siya. He loosened his tie as he walked past the living room. "Maru? Baby?" He called Maru, but she didn't answer. Tahimik pa rin sa paligid. Usually, she would just be around, waiting for him when he gets home. At nakasanayan na niya iyon.

"Baby?" malambing pa ring tawag niya. That was his endearment to her. He had been treating her like a baby since they became official. Maru was young, small and fragile like a little baby that deserved pampering. Wala ang babae sa sala at sa kusina kaya sa silid na siya pumunta. Kumunot ang kanyang noo nang makitang wala ring tao roon. "Maru?" His voice became louder. He went to the bathroom to check it, but it was open, and no one was there too.

Wala si Maru sa condo unit niya? Mas lalong lumalim ang gatla sa kanyang noo. Where was she? May pinuntahan? Hindi ito nagpaalam sa kanya na aalis ngayon. Nitong nakaraang mga araw ay nagpapaalam naman ito kapag may pupuntahan. But she didn't say a thing today so he was expecting that she was just here, in the place they called home. He was already talking with some brokers about acquiring a house. He would be starting a family with Maru, and they needed a bigger place especially when they start having children. Naka plano na sa kanyang utak ang lahat – their short term and long term goals. Wala naming masama roon. Meaning, handa na siyang harapin ang pagpapamilya at ang buhay may-asawa sa piling ni Maru.

Nagpalit na lamang siya ng damit. He waited for her until he became impatient. Kaya tinawagan na lamang niya ang kasintahan. Pero walang signal ang number nito at hindi niya makontak. Panay ang tingin niya sa kanyang suot na relo. Malapit nang mag-alas siyete ng gabi pero wala pa rin si Maru. He called and called her number, but he couldn't get through. She was unreachable. He couldn.t help but worry already. Gabi na at dapat ay nakauwi na si Maru. It wasn't safe for her to be littering around without a chaperone especially when it was already dark. He texted her. But she wasn't replying either. Well, walang signal ang babae so most probably ay hindi rin nito natatanggap ang text niya. Low bat?

"Come on, Maru... please answer..." He dialled her number again, and the voice prompt that he could hear on the line was already becoming annoying. Damn! He cursed in frustration. Noon niya napagtuunan ng pansin ang study table na nasa gilid ng silid. Maru was usulally there when she uses her laptop. But her laptop wasn't on the table, instead, he saw a folded paper. His eyes narrowed at the paper as he took strides towards it. His eyebrows cocked as he saw his name written on the paper. Pinulot niya iyon at iniladlad. He pursed his lips as he read the short note.

Dear Benjamin,

I'm so sorry but I'm calling our wedding off.

Maru

Para siyang tinadyakan nang malakas nang mabasa ang nakasulat sa sulat. It was short but lethal, and more than enough to ruin him that very instant. For a moment, his brain refused to process the information. It couldn't be! This couldn't be! Ilang beses niyang binasa ang sulat kamay ni Maru bago tumatak sa isipan niya ang ibig sabihin niyon. Their wedding was off. She was quitting. Maru didn't want to marry him.

"Shit!" he cursed hard as he felt a sharp knife stab him in the chest. He could feel his heart literally bleeding in pain. This couldn't be! It might just be a prank. Maru just couldn't back out now that they have only one more week before they'll walk down the aisle and became a married couple. She couldn't just run away from him! But where the hell was that woman? Galit na nilamukos niya ang papel. Halos ay maglagutok na ang kanyang mga kamao sa mahigpit na pagkakakuyom. His teeth were grinding in emotionshe couldn't name. Damn Maru!

His fingers were shaking when he fished for his phone and dialled her number again. He needed to talk to Maru. She couldn't do this to him. They had to talk! Pero wala pa ring signal ang babae. Hindi niya ito makontak. Sa inis at galit ay naihagis niya ang phone sa pader. Nabasag iyon at nagkapira-piraso. God! What the hell was happening? His chest expanded as he took a deep breath. He didn't want to panic, but he couldn't help it. The thought that Maru was calling their wedding off was a total shocker. Something that he couldn't accept, and he wouldn't permit that. Their wedding should pursue by hook or by crook! Kung kinakailangan niyang kaladkarin ang babae sa simbahan upang pakasalan siya ay gagawin niya. Hindi pwedeng hindi matuloy ang kanilang kasal! Ngayon pa lamang ay tila mababaliw na siya. But where the hell was Maru? Napapamurang binuksan niya ang cabinet at closet kung saan nakalagay ang mga gamit ng babae. It was empty. Her things were not there anymore.

Fuck! Sinipa niya ang cabinet. He shouted in pain, not because he kicked the cabinet, but because his heart was profusely bleeding. Umalis si Maru at iniwan siya? It was repulsive. He couldn't take it. There was no way that he could allow it. Never! She couldn't run away from him. Not that easy. Certainly, never that easy.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Guys, don't forget to VOTE and leave a COMMENT and SHARE this wonderful story to your friends!

xoxo,

Sharon Rose