Chapter 13

"Benjamin, where the hell are we?" si Maru na nakalarawan ang pagkamangha at takot sa maganda nitong mukha.

He could sense her anxiety. He was actually anxious, too. It was his first time to try this daredevil stint and mock the god of death. He just hoped that they would still be in one piece after this.

Mahigpit na pinisil niya ang hawak na kamay ni Maru. Her hand was cold and shivering. "We will just defy death, babe," he grinned at her eventhough a hollow pit in his stomach was starting to form and wrench his gut. His usually sturdy legs lost some of their usual strength.

Hinila niya ang babae palapit sa staff ng Twin Eagles Hotel. It was owned by Nikolas and had been in the business for roughly a year. Ilang beses na siyang inanyayahan ni Nik na subukan ang main attraction ng hotel - a zipline experience guaranteed to give a high dose of adrenaline rush. It was the highest zipline experience in Asia where someone could be a superman for three minutes, flying from the top of one hotel building to another.

Siya na lang sa kanilang lima ang hindi pa nakakapag-try niyon. Sisiw lang ang challenge kay Kiehl. Well, Kiehl was a daredevil who always challenge death by his love for extreme sports.

Not that he was a sissy, it was just that he wasn't really comfortable when in high places. And the zipline experience in Twin Eagles Hotel was a breath-taking forty story high adventure.

He wasn't sure why all of a sudden, he wanted to try the zipline. And he wanted to try it with Maru.

They were on the rooftop of one of the tower and they weren't there to enjoy the breathtaking view but to seek for an exhilirating, death defying experience.

Ibinigay niya ang biniling ticket sa isa sa staff na hinintay silang makalapit. Some of the staff held the gears and props that they had to wear.

"Good afternoon, sir, Ma'am..." bati ng mga ito sa kanila.

He just nodded his head and smiled. He didn't let go of Maru's as cold as ice hand. Mahigpit niya iyong hawak na parang doon siya kumukuha ng lakas. Habang lumilipas ang mga minuto, tila lumalakas yata ang pagkabog ng kanyang dibdib. Lalo na kapag natatanaw niya ang dulo ng rooftop. They were in a very high altitude. Napakataas niyon. Kapag nahulog sila ay tiyak na lasug-lasog ang kanilang mga katawan.

Napangiwi siya sa naisip. Of course, he didn't want that to happen to them especially to Maru. He drove the morbid thought away from his mind.

"I don't think this is a good idea..." si Maru na nakalarawan ang takot sa mukha. She was as pale as ever. Her luminous skin looked more fragile, breakable, sensitive.

Mahigpit na muling pinisil niya ang kamay nito. "Relax, babe," he tried to pull a smile. "We'll just have a one hell ride of our lives. We can do this together."

She looked at him with awe, as if processing what he just said. "Sabagay, hindi ko pa nasusubukan ito," maya-maya ay wika nito.

"Me, too," he whispered at her.

"Natatakot ka rin?" she hushed in a soft voice so the staff around them who were busy preparing their stuff wouldn't hear her.

"Yes," pabulong na pag-amin niya. Yumuko siya at nagsalita malapit sa punong-tainga nito.

She drew a smile on her lips. Nagkaroon ng kaunting kulay ang mukha nito. "What had gotten into you? Why the hell did we end up here?" natatawa na naiiling na komento nito.

"Let's just enjoy this moment, okay?" Mas lalo niyang inilapit ang mukha sa ulo nito, digging his face in her soft hair, inhaling her sweet scent. It was enough to take his fear away.