Chapter 43: How To Be.. A Nerd

Thanks to @stevson97 for this awesome cover on the side :D

The last chapter excluding the epilogue! I hope you guys enjoy :)

*******************

It was a week after Lily apologized. It was after school now, and Blaine had cheerleading practice to attend to. Meanwhile, I was at the school library, completing my homework. I made sure to check over my work one more time before putting it all away. Feeling satisfied that I finished it, I took out my phone. I looked at the time and saw that I finished with a little over a half hour before Blaine's cheerleading practice is over.

Even though there were computers available, I went on my phone's Internet. I clicked aimlessly on the search engine, looking up the word 'nerd' curious to see what it would say.

Results came instantly.

How to Be A Nerd

My first thought being 'Oh no.. No more transformations please.'

But then I thought, I'm already a nerd so it wouldn't matter anyway. Bookmarked!

Difference Between Nerd And a Geek

Bleh.

Definitions

I already had a pocket dictionary but I still clicked on it.

Nerd

nur-id, (adj) nerdy

(noun) A person who prefers to study.

By choosing to study over break, the college student felt nerdy.

Well that was as standard as it got, I suppose. I looked up the word 'popularity', but didn't click define.

Popularity. I didn't need a dictionary to tell me what I already knew. Popularity was such fame that gets people to notice you, have unrealistic expectations of what you should be, and gets people in your business. I'd gladly remain a nerd. I exited the page and put my phone away.

I picked up my backpack and got up, aiming to see if chess club was still going on. As I walked, I started to wonder when my glasses would be ready for pick-up. Just then, I felt a buzz in my pocket. Huh, well okay, either that's the eye doctor now or Jesse is a closet nerd, I thought while taking out my phone expecting a call. But I saw I had a text instead.

'Hey Alan! How's school been? Mine isnt as lame as I thought! :P' -Sidney

No way Sid? I haven't heard from her in forever!

'Hey Sid! I'm glad you like your new school, everythings 'cool' here too.' I texted back. As happiness went into me, sadness did too. How could we not know how cool Sidney was until she was on the verge of packing up and changing schools? We texted back and forth for a while. I got to the chess club room and I went in and took a seat without saying anything. I got a few glances my way, and I mentally scolded myself because I forgot I was wearing the sports jacket. So, I quietly watched, smiling to myself when I saw minor mistakes my past teammates were making. I looked back at my phone as saw Sidney texted back. She told me how her school didn't care for uniforms.

'So far, I met 3 friends who love the same music as me! (I was wearing my Panic At The Disco shirt and they loved it!)' -Sidney

'That's awesome, I'm glad its going great for you.' I texted, genuinely happy for her. At this, I put my phone back in my pocket, and I met the eye of one of the chess players. Chase. He gave me a questioning look as he moved a piece, and I shrugged. That move he made was alright. He nodded satisfied, and I felt a grin make its way back to my face.