Chapter 23: Phone Calls

Usually when I have a confrontation coming up, I get so nervous. But that is understood because it would usually be a jock vs nerd one.

“Shelly.” I said into the phone in an annoyed voice. She didn’t scare me one bit; she annoyed me to no end though.

“Alan?” She said surprised. I never did think I would see the day that I would call her.

“Yeah it’s me.” I said and before she continued, I spoke up. “Listen, I don’t know what your problem with me is, but leave Blaine out of it.”

“What are you talking about?” She said innocently. Seriously? This is the girl who spilled half her water bottle on me in an attempt to make me leave the lunch table in sophomore year.

“You told Blaine that I have a secret girlfriend. You made it your mission to break up the friendship between Blaine and me, and I’m going to tell you now to cut it out.” I said trying to keep calm. What did Jesse ever see in her?

“You shouldn’t even be popular! Everyone knows you’re just Blaine’s little shadow.” She said in her usual offensive tone and I really wanted to hang up the phone on her. It’s nearly impossible to keep your patience with this girl.

“This is coming from the girl who bribed the coach to make her head cheerleader and not Blaine.” She gasped in surprise, so I continued. “I think the little shadow here is you. Now back off.” I said then I hung up.

I looked at the phone after a few minutes then I started to laugh that I actually got the last word. I didn’t even know if that was true; it was just a rumor that I heard a few times when I was waiting for Blaine to finish cheerleading practice. I texted Blaine that I was going to go to sleep soon and to tell Jasper I said thanks for inviting me over. Then I went to get ready for bed. I brushed my teeth and did my nightly routine. When I was all ready, I picked up my phone to see if Blaine replied. She did, so I asked her if I could call her. When she answered in affirmative terms, I put my finger over the call button. I started to remember everything that happened today, the whole confessions and everything. I quickly blushed, feeling so stupid for just blurting it out, but I was happy that I said it at the same time. I gave myself a second to get neutral. Then, I called; my nerves rising when I heard she picked up.

“Hey.” I said hoping I didn’t sound as nervous as I felt.

“Hey,” She chuckled. I took it I did sound that nervous.

“Be quiet Blaine,” I said embarrassed. She started to laugh. I started to walk around mindlessly in my room.

“I didn’t say anything, come on.” She said and I want to face-palm. Not even 5 seconds on the phone Alan, great..

“I just wanted to see how you are.” I muttered sitting on the edge of my bed now.

“You just saw me an hour ago.” She said amused.

“I missed you. Geez is that what you wanted to hear?” I said with a smile coming on my face.

“I missed you too. And yes.” She said giggling. I chuckled.

“Did Jasper make fun of you more when I was gone?” I questioned curiously.

“Don’t even remind me,” She said. I started to laugh. He was hilarious even though he targeted both me and Blaine.

We were just joking for a while; then I told her about calling Shelly.

“So she has your number now?” Blaine said quietly. I quickly shook my head.

“Oh no, I called her leaving my number private.” I shuddered. “No way do I want her having my number.” She laughed pleased with my response, I’m sure. “I don’t even think the rumor was true, it just felt good to-”

“Make her shut up?” Blaine said bluntly. We both started to laugh. Yes exactly that. “Nah, she’s a good leader- for cheerleading that is.” She said and I shrugged.

“Eh.” I said voicing my thought.

“Jesse must have thought so. Poor thing.” She said in a sad voice.

“Yeah he told me she cheated on him, that sucks.” I said feeling bad for him as well. “He’s nicer than I thought he would be.” I said honestly.

“They used to go to the same middle school together, some people thought they were together before high school. But I don’t really know much about it. Something about him dumping her, then they got back together, then she cheated on him. I don’t know it’s complicated.” Blaine explained.

“Who’d she cheat on him with?” I wondered. I wanted to mention how I think he still likes Shelly, but I kept it in.

“This guy in her Spanish class; I think his name was Eric. Thankfully, he wasn’t on the football team. Can you imagine how much Jesse being the team captain would’ve pushed him knowing that’s who his girlfriend cheated with? Plus all the influence Jesse has on his team.” I shuddered thinking about it.

“Ouch.” I said thinking how I barely knew stuff going on the popularity side. You would expect it to be a peaceful meadow where you’re away from pain.

“Yeah he was really torn up about it and even she was but they both were good actors.” She said sadly.

“You know who’s a bad actor?” I asked her wanting to lift up her mood.

“Who?” She answered still upset.

“This girl who ate half of the apple pie for Thanksgiving and blamed it on me.” Blaine started to laugh. “I swear your mom looked so mad, until I admitted that I did eat it. And that I just splatted it on your face and that’s how you had it.” Blaine laughed more while I sulked.

“That was so funny-”

“I got no desserts for a week, and you were just laughing at me the whole time just like you are now!” I said starting to laugh with her.

“Come on, it wasn’t that bad.” She said trying to hold in her laugh.

“I was 9 years old, that was the worst thing ever.” I said only half serious.

“Aww, look even then, you had my back.” She said and I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah yeah whatever.” I said. She snickered. I grew amused now. “Just wait until we go out, I’m not going to let you get any dessert.”

“We’re going to go out?” Blaine said surprised after yawning.

“Well yeah, I would keep going but it looks like you’re about to fall asleep.” I said teasing her.

“No no, I’m awake.” She said trying to hide a new yawn. “Ughh..come on!” I could see her pouting in my head.

“Goodnight Blaine.” I said with a chuckle.

“Alan!” She complained.

“Sweet dreams!” I responded acting like I’m about to hang up.

“That’s not fair.” She said sleepily.

“Think of me while you sleep.” I said in a joking manner. I had on a big smile and I felt like the luckiest guy in the world.

“I will.” She answered sounding like she’s already half asleep.

“Love you,” I said holding my breath as I waited for her response.

“Love you too. Night.” She said with a yawn.

“Night.”