chapter 27

I dedicated this to one of my best friends sailorgirl121093 because of her birthday Friday, and no I didn't do it because you suggested it I was already going to. :p Anway Happy Birthday and I want to thank you for your amazing support of my writing and how proud you are of me. Thank You so much <3

Hey, I'm sorry for the wait and how short this chapter is and not very exciting but it's important in the greater scheme of things. This is when the story starts to move along and find out that Les isn't the only one with secrets. ;) Speaking of secrets, I know you all are waiting anxiously to find out Les' secret and you will find out soon enough. No worries.

            The rest of the night was just like any party. I went back to the game room with Holden and hung out with him and Nicole the rest of the time. I could tell that Nicole knew there was something wrong with me but she didn't say anything. I was hoping that she wouldn't guess that it had to do with Les and Nate. I didn't see Les for the rest of the night. I assumed that he went home after our conversation but I wasn't sure, there were a lot of people at the party. I was a little disappointed but relieved that I didn't have to hang out with Nicole and Holden around him. (Not that Holden would have let me). But it would have been awkward. I know that I said I wanted everything to go back to normal but the truth was that was impossible. Since the night I told Les I liked him in the park, Nicole and I have become much closer and she is a bigger part of my life now. Now my time has to be split between them or they have to become friends too.

            I was also worrying about what Les was going to tell me before Holden interrupted. Obviously, it was important. Something that most likely had to do with whatever he was keeping from me. I was still a little angry at Holden for interrupting us but there was nothing I could do about that now. Like I told Les, I can wait for him to tell me because I trust him and I want him to trust me too. But that didn't mean I wasn't getting anxious.

            Nate seemed to be avoiding me the rest of the night too. Every time that he would come over it was just to ask Nicole something then he would walk away without more than a glance at me. I'm not going to lie, that hurt. It was like he was mad at me for something and the only thing I could think of was the almost kiss. I didn't know if he was mad because it didn't happen or what but I wasn't going to be bothered by him. Well, try not to be bothered by him because I am someone who hates when people are mad at me. I hope that by Monday we can be normal again.  Boys are really starting to aggravate me. I just got things almost back to normal with Les and now things are weird between Nate and me. I really can't catch a break.

            On the bright side, Nicole and Holden hit it off. They were talking and flirting the whole time I was there. I would say that I felt left out but I didn't. Nicole is one of those people that try to include everyone in conversation. I was excited for both of them. Nicole is shy and to find someone that is easy to talk to is hard. And Holden was having his own relationship problems and I think a little time with another girl is the thing he needs to get his mind off of it. I guess I don't have to set him up with Renee after all.

            There was a light tug on my arm and a soft whisper in my ear.

            "Ruth. Ruth, wake up. You need to start getting ready." The voice called.

            I rolled over and ignored the sound and drifted back into sleep. I don't know how much time lapsed but it felt like a minute later I heard a loud bang that caused me to jump up in fright. It took me a second to realize the sound came from downstairs then I jumped up and bolted my way to the kitchen. I entered the room and stopped when I saw my dad mumbling incoherently and picking up pots and pans that fell to the floor. I chuckled and went to go help him put them away.