chapter 16 (part 2)

The next morning when I got to school I ran to Les. He had his back turned to me so I jumped up onto his back. He jumped in shock and turned his head to look back at me. When he saw it was me he smiled and hitched me up so I wouldn't fall. I snuggled my head on his shoulder and almost sighed at his smell.

"Morning, Ruthy." Les greeted me.

"Morning, Leslie." I smirked, he didn't like it when I called him Leslie in front of his friends.

He frowned for a second then chuckled. He gently put me down and stood facing me. We stayed there watching each other for a minute. I looked into his chocolate brown eyes and got the over-whelming urge to be in his arms again. I lunged into him and gave him a hug. Les wrapped his arms around me and his muscles tightened. Suddenly, I was being twirled around in the air. I dug my nails into Les' arm so I wouldn't go flying. I laughed when Les started to stumble back due to being dizzy. He put me down slowly and closed his eyes, holding on to me trying to regain his balance. His face started to get pale and his cheeks puffed out. I looked at him with concern.

"Les, are you-"

I got cut off by him turning away and vomitting in the grass next to the parking lot. My eyes widened in alarm and I ran over him and put a hand on his back as he bent over and held his stomach. I heard him groan in pain and he stood up. He turned to me with a frown on his face and his eyes a little watered. I frowned back at him. Why did he just throw up? Was it because he was dizzy or is he sick? I kept my hand on his arm as I studied him. He didn't look so well. His eyes were blood-shot and there were bags underneath them. He was pale except for a tint of red on his cheeks.

"Are you okay?" I asked without hiding the worry in my voice.

He didn't answer for a second. He actually looked a little scared. What is going on?

"Umm, yeah. I guess spinning you around wasn't a good idea." He forced a laugh.

I glared at him. This wasn't funny. He was just sick. I pulled him along and was about to shove him into his car when Nicole and Nate showed up.

"Hey whats up?-Whoa, what happened to you?" Nate asked Les.

"Les is sick and I am bringing him home." I said not looking away from Les.

"No. I am fine. I was just dizzy. And besides, you don't have your license." Les refused.

'You are not fine. You look sick and you were sick." I argued.

"I am fine."

I put my hand on his forehead and it was burning up.

"You have a fever, you are going home." I told him.

He shook his head, about to protest when Nate stepped in.

"Dude, you should really go home. One day out isn't going to kill you."

Some unknown emotion flashed across Les' face before he gave up with a sigh. "Fine, but you can't drive me Ruth. You don't have your license and you are a terrible driver."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Well, you are not driving yourself if that is what you are thinking."

He rolled his eyes, "How else am I getting home?"

I thought about this for a second. "Alright, you can drive yourself home, but I am going with you!"

"You don't have to do that, you will be late for school and how will you get back?"

"I am going to stay and make sure you're okay. You're dad isn't home right?" I asked.

"No, but Ruth-"