Chapter 5

I turned around slowly because I knew who had called me. I looked across the parking lot and saw Les waving me over to his group of friends. I was a little shocked that he was acting like nothing had happened but I started to walk over to him. He looked gorgous, as always, and I felt butterflies swarming in my stomach as I approached him. He smiled when he saw I was coming then turned back around to say something to his friend. I was a little nervous as to what was going to happen but I tried to not show it. If Les wanted to act like nothing happened last night and still be friends I wasn't going to say anything. When I walked up to him I forced a smile.

"Hey." I said to him.

He turned back around and smiled at me. "Yo, Ruth. What's up?"

"I don't know, your're the one who called me over here." I laughed.

"Yeah." He said with this weird look. I studied him for a second to see what was wrong. He turned back one of his friends, Brad, I think his name was and told him about this new video game he got. I didn't really care or understand what they were talking about so I looked across the lot. I was just staring into space when I saw Nicole get out of this old blue Nissan. I smiled and waved to her. It took a minute to get her attention but when she finally saw me she smiled and waved back. Then she saw Les right next to me and got this confused look on her face. She mouthed, "What's going on?" to me and I just shrugged and mouthed back, " I don't know."

She still looked confused and I was about to go over to talk to her when someone put their arm around my shoulder. I jumped and turned around to see Les looking at me curiously.

"Who you waving to?" He asked.

"Oh, my friend, Nicole." I said turning back around to see that she was heading into the school. A guy about a foot taller than her was next to her. I couldn't see who it was but I figured it was her brother.

He smiled and nodded. I stared at him again, he was acting a little weird. There was something in his eyes that told me he was uncomfortable. I felt bad because I knew it was my fault for telling him I loved him. I knew he was just trying to pretend nothing happened and keep things normal but I think it was for more of my benefit. I think he didn't want me to feel bad that he didn't feel the same way for me. I didn't want to force him to be friends to me so I pulled him away from his friends. He looked at me confused and I shook my head at him.

"It's okay you don't have to pretend." I whispered so he friends wouldn't hear.

He frowned and asked, "Pretend about what?"

"That you are comfortable around me, that everything is normal. I'll understand if you don't want to be friends with me anymore." I said looking down at me feet.

He pulled my head up to look at him, I almost got lost in his chocolate brown eyes. He was still frowning when he said, " What are you talking about? Of course I want to still be friends with you. And I'm fine."

"Oh, I just thought-" I started but he stopped me and forced a smile.

"No, just forget about it. Come on, the bell is going to ring."

I was kind of confused to as what happened but I sighed and followed him into the school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Les and I had three classes together, thankfully, first period I didn't have with him. So when we got into the building we headed off our own seperate ways. I was confused but happy that Les wanted to still be friends with me. I was a little light-hearted as I headed off to history. I got into class and sat down next to Nicole. I knew she was going to ask what happened with Les, but before she could talk the teacher came in. I was grateful for the few extra minutes of not having to tell Nicole what happened yet, because truthfully, I still didn't know.

"I have a meeting at eight so you will be going into the auditorium with Mrs. Danford's class when I leave." He informed us.

The class all cheered and I rolled my eyes at them. I was excited that we didn't have to sit here and work all class but seriously, people don't have to clap about it.

"You will be watching a documentary on the Civil War." He added.

We went over a review for the test we are going to take next week until the teacher had to leave. Nicole and I walked together to the auditorium. No suprise, she asked me about this morning and I told her what happened.

"Well, atleast he still wants to be friends with you. But are you okay with it?" She asked.

"I guess. It's better then never speaking to him again." I shrugged as we found seats in the auditorium.

There were only two classes that were in here so everybody was spread out. We sat on the left side, in the middle row. There wasn't anybody around us until a group of girls sat right in front of us. I made a face at them and slid down into my seat. Nicole laughed but looked annoyed too. Why out of all the seats in the room, did they have to choose the ones in front of us? The Teacher set up the projector with the movie while everyone was chatting. When she finally got it to work she turned off the lights and shushed us. Of course, the girls in front of us didn't shut up and kept talking. It was annoying the crap out of me.

"Do they have to talk?" I asked Nicole aggravated.

She shrugged and kept her attention on the movie. I wasn't really interested in the movie but it still annoyed me that these girls were being so rude. I heard one of the girls mention Les' name and my ears perked up. I leaned in closer to hear better. I put my elbow on my knee and my head on my fist and turned my head a little so I could listen.

"He is so cute. I don't understand why he is friends with that girl." A blonde girl said. I really hope they are not talking about me when I am sitting right here.

"Yeah, I saw them this morning. She was all over him. Can't she get the hint? I mean, he looked so uncomforable." Another girl snickered.

I frowned. So I wasn't the only one that noticed. I didn't understand why he was still being friends with me if he didn't want to. I felt my heart ache and I supressed tears. Nicole leaned over listening to what the girls were saying.

"I bet he just feels bad for her. I know that they have been friends for along time. He just doesn't want to hurt her feelings. Besides, I heard he likes someone." The blonde girl said.

I sank back in my chair and Nicole put a hand on my shoulder. I couldn't believe this. It hurt to know he didn't feel the same way about me as I felt about him, but knowing he liked someone else....That tore apart my heart even more. I heard the other girl giggle, I looked up and saw her wink at the girl who was sitting all the way at the end of the row. She had long, brown hair and was blushing. She gave a nervous giggle and turned back to the movie. The blonde girl nudged the girl next to her and whispered in her ear, "See, I told you she like him. They would make such a cute couple!"

That was it. I stood up and ran to the back of the auditorium, not looking back at the girls who were staring at me. I told Mrs.Danford I didn't feel well. She nodded and made me a pass. I bolted my way out of there and ran into the girl's bathroom. I quickly looked around to see if anyone was in the stalls then I ran back to the door and locked it. I slid down to the foor and put my hands on my face. I silently wept until I heard someone knocking on the door. I just ignored it and eventually I heard someone sigh in aggravation and leave. I sat there for a few more minutes then I stood up and walked to the sink. I looked into the mirror and was horrified at what I saw. My face had red blotches everywhere, under my eyes were all puffy. This was just great. I turned the faucet on cold and stuck my hands under the water, cupping it up to my face and washing it. I did this a few times until I looked back up in the mirror and my face was a pale white. Well, it was better than people knowing I had been crying. I heard the bell ring and grabbed a paper towel and dried my face off. I quickly unlocked the door because I knew that girls would be piling in soon. I left the bathroom and made my way down the crowded halls. Now, off to math, with Les.

Thanks for reading. Still short, sorry. But it will start to get more interesting soon I promise. Comment plz :D