chapter 28 (part 1)

Sorry for the long wait and how boring and short this chapter is. I was going to put Les' secret in today but I decided I wanted it to have it's own chapter so don't get impatient yet. I promise you it will be in the next chapter. I hope you still like this chapter :) Anyway, I don't know if everyone got my message but I posted a preview of the story I am going to be sdoing after this and I would love it if you all checked it out so I can see it you like it. If you do please comment and vote. It's called From Grace to May (working title)

I stared at him for a long second not sure if it really was him. It looked like Nate but this person's whole demeanor was completely different. Unlike Nate's confident stride and relaxed smile, this man was walking slightly hunched with his face devoid of any emotion other than seriousness. I backed myself behind the shelf slowly so that I could see him but he would not be able to see me. I watched him carefully as he walked up to the front desk and put the box down. He told something to the lady before picking up the box again and heading up the stairs. I stood dumfounded and confused at his strange behavior and the coincidence of us being at the same place at the same time. Especially since we were downtown and in a place that I have never been before.

            I tried to speculate why he would be here first of all, and with a box. The only logical reasoning that I could come up with was that he was an artist and he put his art on display here. Nate has never said anything about being an artist or having his work in a gallery but what else could he being doing here? Once I no longer saw him, I slowly put the book back before rushing back to Renee. I took a cautionary look behind me before pulling her up.

            "Come on. We have to go." I hissed clinging onto her arm.

            Renee twitched the corner of her mouth up and raised her eyebrow at me. She retracted her arm back and stepped away from me.

            "Why?" She asked.

            "I just saw someone and I don't want him to see me." I answered quickly then glanced behind me again.

            When I turned back to Renee, she was looking at me weirdly.

            "Who?" She questioned me again.

            "It doesn't matter. I just don't want him to see me." I said anxiously.

            "Why don't you want him to see you?" She frowned.

            I didn't have an answer. Why didn't I want him to see me? Maybe it was because of what happened yesterday at the party. After our almost kiss he was acting strange. I don't think now would be a good time to run into him and ask what he was doing here. For some reason I don't think he would break down and tell me the truth.

            "Can you stop questioning me please?" I forcefully asked.

            "Geez, relax. Bethany will be back in a minute then we can go." She said pushing hair back from her face.

            I snarled at her but sat down on the chair facing the stairs in case Nate came back down. I tapped my fingers on the arm of the chair while nervously biting my lip. I hoped that he wouldn't come down before Bethany got back and we could leave. A minute later Bethany came back and I immediately stood and started towards her.

            "Are we leaving now?" I asked.

            She smiled, "Yup. We can go shopping now."

            "Good." I smiled back, relieved.

            Renee appeared next to me and we made our way out of the building. As soon as we made it outside, I relaxed my tense shoulders.