67. Broken Meetings

"She wants to know why nobody else is being sent on this contract and if you plan on it being the same with the rest of the contracts. Will her and Destin be the only ones sent out for them or shall anyone else go eventually?" Babette spoke as she met the Pretender's gaze from across the table.

"The Night Mother gave the Listener the contract, so he shall carry them out," she sneered as she looked at me. "I don't see a problem with that. Do you not think him good enough to fulfill his duty to the family?"

Of course, I know he is good enough for this! That is something I shall never question! The problem I have is that the Night Mother did not give him alone the contract, she sent him to accept the contract in the name of the Family. All of the Family! Perhaps it is you that thinks the rest of the Family not fit to take part in such an important series of events as the assassination of the Emperor? Because other than that, I can't think of any reason to deny them their right to participate equally in these contracts leading up to the last target. And even that should be chosen based on who would do the job best!

"Unless there is something else she has planned that she is not sharing with the rest of the Family," Ellery snarled from his place against the wall before he pushed away and stepped up to the table, slamming his hand down hard enough that one of the goblets shifted slightly.

"What was that?" The Not Child asked as she stared at the mead in the goblet rippling slightly before growing still again.

Ellery thinks that your leader is hiding something from everyone in the Family. Even you, Babette. He's a bit... upset about it. I know he doesn't like her, but why would he get this mad? What is she up to that he would actually hit something? He's not a violent man, Babette.

"What was what, Babette? I didn't see anything," she said before sighing. "Let's get back to the meeting. What is her issue now? Does she ever stop complaining about the contracts she is sent on? It's practically a blessing that I don't have to hear her constantly moaning about having to actually contribute to this family."

You talk like I haven't given you half the coin I get from selling the stuff I don't keep from the things I pick up when we go crypt diving! Have you even told anyone about the coin I gave you last time? Did anyone else get a share? Did even your own husband know about it? Or did you pocket that money just like Ellery said you pocketed the rest? I've given you hundreds of septims in coin and all you do is complain about me 'not contributing' to this Family! You ungrateful-

"What do you mean you've been giving her half of the coin you make from what you find while exploring?" Babette interrupted me, her voice low as she turned to face the Pretender. "You said nothing about this to me. Have you told anyone about this? Surely Nazir or Arnbjorn at the very least?"

The silence in the room as the False One sat wide-eyed in her seat was a heavy weight, everyone turning to look at her before turning toward me.

"Exactly how much have you given to her, Sister? Do you know the exact amount?" Nazir questioned, one brow raised as he pulled out a piece of paper with some notes on it.

"She hasn't given me any coin! She's lying to you!" The Pretender shouted, her hands slamming down onto the table.

A loud thump was heard before the sound of metal against metal as a bag was tossed onto the table, coins spilling out to glint in the candlelight, a small note half-buried amidst the heap of septims as everyone stared in shock.

"Mother said where to find it. It's the first time she's spoken since she gave me the initial request to meet the Petitioner. I figured it was too important to wait until later and I'm glad of that," he said before turning to frown at the trembling female. "Mother is not happy you would lie about her Child like this. We are supposed to be a family. When will you begin acting like you are part of one?"

Reaching out, Ellery grabbed at the note in the coins, managing to pull it out just enough that it fluttered free to land in front of the Kitchen Master. Reaching out, he grabbed it before the Pretender could and began reading. Moments later, he looked up with a frown.

"It is an accounting of every coin given to her by Faith. I think that until further notice we should put someone else in charge of assigning the contracts. Someone that will be able to show a better ability to make trustworthy choices. For now, let's have the Listener take this contract still, but I think Faith has earned the chance to stay home for a time and rest. Would anyone else be interested in taking her place?" The Kitchen Master stood as he spoke, looking around the table at the other members of our Family.

"You can't just take over! This is my Sanctuary! I-" she began shouting angrily, only to hush as her husband put his hand on her shoulder and pulled her into his arms, whispering softly into her ear as she quieted down.

Lowering her head to hide the tears that were beginning to form, she allowed herself to be led away by the sad-looking Too Tall Nord, her arms wrapped around herself in a familiar manner. I watched silently until they both vanished from sight, only bringing myself back when I felt my Jester Assassin's arm pulling me gently against his side.

"Cicero is glad that his gentle Faith gets to rest more before she goes out again and would give his thanks to his Siblings for taking charge so smoothly in this difficult transition. He is glad to see that not all change must happen with difficulty or conflict," he said, nodding before sending a small but honest smile at everyone present.

It was good to hear how steady he was able to keep his voice for once in front of our Family, my fingers curling between his as I leaned over a little more to press my lips against his cheek. A soft chuckle slipped from his lips as he turned to me, his smile growing as his eyes wandered to my lips.

Does this mean we are done here for now and I can go work on my stitches again? I wanted to finish the changes I'm making since they seem to be working so well.

He paused for a moment before looking into my eyes for a few minutes, his honey-brown eyes wide as he finally leaned a bit closer.

"Cicero is wondering... He has never seen his sweet Faith work on the stitches and would ask if he could see how Faith creates them? Ah, but if she refuses, Cicero will understand and simply go tend to Mother's room instead so that Faith can have privacy! Cicero will not push for more than she is comfortable with sharing," he said, slipping in and out of his lilting singsong as he fidgeted in place, one hand reaching up to tug on the tails of his cap as he waited for me to answer.

I could see my Bastian glance at Cicero for a bit before he turned to speak with the sibling nearest him, the Grumpy Uncle, until the Mysterious Sister stepped over and joined in as they began talking about the contract. It seemed like she would be the one joining him this time.

If you are sure? But you don't have to stay if it bothers you! I- I understand that seeing the stitches after they have been placed is... different from seeing me make them...

"Cicero understands. He's seen many different kinds of art people have put on their bodies and simply wishes to see how his lovely Faith creates her own version. She mentioned something about webs and Cicero must admit that he is curious to see what she meant. Besides, Cicero is always looking for more ways to spend time with his dear one. He waited so long to have her, after all."