33. Broken Beginnings

When we arrived at the Not Child's room, she asked me if both my companions were in the room with us. Looking at Ellery as he frowned at her, I nodded to her, having felt Amicus brush his fingers down my hand until he gave my fingers a small squeeze of comfort.

"So, where is Ellery right now and who is he?" She stared intently at me as she asked this, her face blank of any expression, much like a mask that lacks emotion.

Ellery is right there, I mouthed as I pointed to the area near her bookshelves. He has been my companion for several years now. At least, I think it has been several. He's been with me since I turned 20.

"Well, how old are you now?" The vampire frowned as she asked me this.

I'm not really sure. I am afraid I lost track of time years ago and Ellery refuses to tell me how long it has been.

"Okay, how about this. When were you born?" The agitation in her voice was subtle but still there for any who paid attention.

I blinked a few times before shrugging.

I don't really remember, it's been so long since I thought about it. I think I turned 19 in 188... so maybe 169? 168? Somewhere around then, surely!

"And the month? What about that? Surely you can remember that much." She sat so still as she spoke, I couldn't help but think she must be holding back from doing something.

I'm sorry, but I really don't remember that.

"Then how do you remember when you turned 19?" I held still as she asked this, staring at how her hands were slowly beginning to clench.

Because Ellery died in the beginning of 189. I turned 20 around the time he came back to me. At least, I think I did. Ellery, was I still 19 when you came back to stay with me?

"You turned 20 shortly before Sun's Dusk, near the end of Frostfall, although I am unsure of the exact day," he spoke with a yawn. "When do we get to leave. I'm tired, Faith and boring questions are not going to help."

Oh, okay. Ellery says I turned 20 near the end of Frostfall after he died. Also, he's tired and wants to know when we can leave for bed.

"Soon, I think. I just have a few more questions tonight and the rest can wait until I have had a chance to think through the answers you have given me," she spoke slowly, her eyes narrowed as she looked between me and the area I had pointed at Ellery having been.

Of course, he'd moved from that spot shortly after I'd pointed to him, but she obviously had ignored that fact.

"Tell me, is Amicus someone who died and came back to you as well?" Her question shocked me for a moment before I began laughing silently.

Oh Aedra, no! Not at all! Amicus is the assassin who killed Ellery! He came back to me with Ellery when I needed them to-

I stopped talking when I realized I was saying far too much to this person I had only just met hours ago. I am unsure how she had gotten me to talk so freely, but it had me on edge.

I think I'm done talking for tonight. I'm tired and need to sleep. Goodnight.

Without waiting for a reply, I turned and walked out of the room, walking down the hallways until I was back in the main chamber watching the waterfall.

I don't like how easily she manipulated me into talking about such things, Amicus. I haven't even talked to Cicero so freely and he's my first treasure beside you two. He has the right to know such things long before any of these strangers called Family.

"Then you should talk to him tomorrow. Tell him about us before the Not Child tries to steal the information from you. In the meantime, we will help guard you against her for as long as we can," Amicus whispered softly, patting my head. "And here we thought they were simply assassins, not thieves. Perhaps you fit in better than you expected?"

I gave a small smile at his joke before turning to the other set of stairs on the opposite side of the waterfall and slowly began climbing them. At the top was another metal door that told me it was likely the one I'd seen inside Mother's room opposite of the entry we'd used. That and a small stand marking the dead end. Placing my pack down, I slowly slid down the wall facing the door.

I'm so tired, Amicus, Ellery. I think... I think if Cicero left right now, I could leave without even second-guessing the choice... This Family doesn't feel right. Oh, Mother, please choose your Listener soon so this Family can be turned back into what it is meant to be! Please...