66. Spiritual Awareness

"And she said that since I am the one who took the actual shot, I should get the reward, but I'm splitting the money with you! It's just, the other reward isn't something that can be split and she refused to let me even ask you if you would want it. I'm sorry Juni- I mean Faith," he flinched as he caught himself, his shoulders slumping the tiniest bit.

It's okay, my Bastian, you can call me by that name in private like this. As long as we are in this room or Mother's sanctuary, nobody can hear what we say. Now tell me, what is this reward that the Pretender gave you?

The smile he gave me was worth every moment I had spent figuring out how to place an enchantment upon the door that would allow us to speak freely without worry of being overheard. Well, without worry of him or Cicero being overheard. Being mute had to have some benefits, after all.

"I'll do better than tell you, Juniper! I'll show you," he said excitedly before he stood up and began casting a spell of some kind, a soft light beginning to emit from his hands before he gestured toward the other side of the room.

A bright blue portal appeared before something stepped through, the gateway vanishing almost as quickly as it had formed, leaving behind a ghostly figure who simply glanced around the room before turning to look at my Bastian.

"My Listener?" The entity spoke in a deep voice as Ellery slowly got up from his seat on the nearby bed and began creeping closer as he peered at the figure.

"What in the Void is this? Some kind of haunting or something? How is this a reward, being able to call up dead people?" He scowled as he began circling around the softly glowing... man?

"I grow restless. As does my blade," the being spoke, head slowly turning to stare intently at Ellery as it's hand lowered to the dagger resting at its hip. "Should I perhaps show the whelp some manners?"

"Who do you mean?" My Listener peered between the phantom and where Ellery had been just moments ago until he had darted back toward the bed, putting distance between him and this strange spirit.

He means Ellery... I think?

Slowly taking a few steps, I moved in front of the transparent man, watching as his hand left the dagger and hung back at his side as he watched me.

Can you see him?

I pointed at Ellery as I tilted my head, hoping that the man understood what I said. Seeing his head turn to look at my Jester, I waited for him to respond somehow, even if just to shrug. Just... something to show it hadn't been a fluke that he'd looked at where Ellery was.

"Do you always surround yourself with Jesters, Listener?" He glanced from Ellery to Cicero as he asked this, before turning back to Ellery. "Although, this one seems less cheerful than the other. Perhaps he should consider becoming an assassin instead? It might suit him better."

Of course, it wouldn't! Ellery is The Laughter! How could he ever stop being a Jester? That would be like... like asking Amicus to stop being The Assassin and start juggling!

"Of course we would not ask the assassin to be anything else. He's already part of the Family and has even sent souls to Sithis. The jester, however, has yet to lift a blade. Although, we are willing to grant some leniency due to his more recent accomplishments inside the Sanctuary. The Dread Father has seen what he does and is willing to stay his hand. For now," the spirit said before turning again and walking closer to my Listener.

What do you mean by for now? And what accomplishments? What are you talking about?

I followed after the entity, lifting a hand to try and grab his shoulder to pull him to a stop, only for my hand to sink slowly into him before I pulled it out. My fingers felt so cold, almost like I had dunked my fingers into an icy river or runoff from snow melting, yet somehow even colder yet. How could anything be so cold and still walk around, talking like it was somehow alive? Looking up again, I saw the being staring at me, no real expression on its face.

I'm sorry, that was rude of me. I'm just worried about my Ellery. Please, will he be okay? Father doesn't really plan to do anything to him... does he? Even if he doesn't complete a contract, Ellery has helped us out. Couldn't Father just let that be enough, just let him help us without having to lift a blade himself? Please?

"Cicero is sure that the Dread Father would not harm sweet Faith's companions! Mother would surely be upset if her kindest daughter was made to cry!" I felt warm arms wrap around me, pulling me back against my Cicero's chest as he rested his head against mine. "Surely the Spectral One is simply trying to let Ellery know that our Dread Father knows what goes on amongst his Children and to mind that he does not break any Tenets?"

"Of course I'm not going to break any of the Tenets! What do you take me for? I might be a Jester, a Fool at heart, but I'm not stupid! I wouldn't chance everything we've gained simply to make things easier for that Bitch!" He scowled as he moved to sit on the bed again, crossing his ankles as he leaned back against the wall. "She already has too many ideas as it is."