10. Muddied Paths

"Does the stranger plan to keep staring at poor, drenched Cicero?" The man turned away as he spoke, tightening a rope on his wagon as a sudden wind pulled at the well-oiled cloth that covered whatever cargo was placed behind the driver's seat.

Sorry, I don't mean to stare. I just wasn't expecting to see another jester in this land. In fact, I don't think I've seen a jester other than my Ellery since I left the Imperial City and that was years ago!

Shrugging at the man as he kept glancing at me over his shoulder, I barely noticed his eyes narrow at me, his lips moving as he began mumbling to himself. Sadly, I was unable to make out what he was saying as he turned back to the wagon, dancing from one corner to the next as he worked to make sure the ropes were all well tightened.

I would have moved on in my search for shelter, but as soon as Amicus gently tipped my head down and over to spot the wheel that lay on the ground, I knew I couldn't just leave the man behind. He was stuck here, unable to take his wagon away to find any shelter of his own from the rain.

Walking slowly over towards the fallen wheel, I carefully knelt beside it, trying to avoid falling into the muddy dirt as I shielded my eyes from the rain. It was hard to make out any visual damage with how dark it was getting, so I reached forward to run my fingers carefully along the wooden frame, ignoring the feeling of eyes boring into my back. It seemed the wheel was still in one piece, so the problem must lie with the axle itself. That could be a problem.

As I went to stand up, I felt my foot slip and soon found myself looking up at the sky to the sound of cackling laughter from not just one Jester, but two. Both Ellery and this stranger were laughing at my misfortune and for once I couldn't help but join in, the sound of their laughter ringing through the air as my own body shook silently with glee.

A few minutes later, I was blinking at the sight of a hand in front of my face as the soaking wet jester, who was not my Jester, grinned down at me. Cautiously taking the hand, I was shocked somewhat at how easily he pulled me up before he let go and danced his way back towards his wagon.

"Oh, Cicero hasn't seen such a funny sight as that in far too long! But he must ask, why does the stranger hold her laughter in even when it is obviously wanting to escape?" He turned his head to peer at me as he asked his question, eyes focusing on my lips as he waited for me to answer.

I have a feeling you already know, Jester who calls himself Cicero. So how about we not waste time with questions we have answers to and instead you help me figure out how to fix your wagon. I don't think any of us wish to stay in this rain longer than we must. Personally, Amicus and I despise the rain, even if Ellery doesn't seem to mind it.

"Amicus? Ellery? Who are they?" He questioned as he peered around the area, one hand lowering to his waist before coming to rest on the hilt of a dagger I hadn't noticed before.

I might have felt more concern for my companions if not for the shock at him having understood the words I'd been forming on my lips, a habit I had never gotten rid of in the years after my father's death. Finding another like my father, someone who could read the words shaped by my mouth, had me frozen in place long enough for the male to turn back to me with narrowed eyes.

"Well? Who are they? Are they here or did you separate from them? Cicero does not want to be surprised by more strangers coming along the path. Perhaps with plans to try and steal from him? Cicero will protect his precious Mother!" He shouted as he took a step towards me, lips curled with anger at my failure to answer his earlier question.

They are my companions. They have been traveling with me, helping warn me of dangers so I can remain safe. I'm not sure where Ellery has gone off to, but Amicus is always right behind me. Can't you see him?

I ignored his mention of a mother, not seeing anyone else about, as I reached a hand behind me and grabbed gently at Amicus' hand, feeling him give a small squeeze when he noticed how my hand was shaking slightly in his grasp. I didn't want this strange jester to try and hurt them, even if I knew that Amicus was skilled enough to defend himself and Ellery was able to escape from anyone. Well, anyone but Amicus. It didn't mean I wanted to take any chances.

No, no, my boys must remain safe. Please don't hurt them. I don't want to be alone again...

I calmed down when I saw him remove his hand from his dagger, a strange look upon his face before he turned towards his wagon, raising a hand to rest gently against the side.

"Cicero understands now, he thinks. He will not try to harm your friends. But Cicero does wonder if the quiet stranger would be able to help him since he does not know if Loreius can communicate with someone who does not speak aloud," the jester said, his voice soft before climbing in pitch again.

Loreius? Who is Loreius? Why would I need to speak with this Loreius?

When I noticed the man hadn't seen what I said, I repeated myself after making sure his eyes were on my lips.

"Ah! Of course, of course! The strange stranger does not know of Loreius yet! Why, he is the farmer who lives up there!" He spoke as he pointed up the hill behind his wagon. "He could help poor Cicero! He has the tools! But he refuses! Go to him and try to convince him to help! Cicero is sure the strange, silent stranger could find a way to get Loreius to help! Somehow!"

Oh, there's a farm that close? And the farmer, this Loreius, was refusing to help the jester? Sure the man was strange - and who did he think he was to call me the strange one? - but was this land even worse than I thought it was already, that they would refuse to help someone who so obviously needed it?

No, no, the loud man from Whiterun had tried to help, even if he'd changed his mind shortly after. He'd at least been willing to try, so surely it wasn't completely unknown to help those in need. Maybe it was just this farmer, just someone so cruel that he felt no shame in leaving a man and his wagon, horse included, standing in the rain unable to go anywhere.

I will do what I can, Jester. See to this mother you mentioned earlier. She has no need to hide from me and my companions. We will bring no danger to your mother. Mothers are to be treasured, yes? Yes, yes, a family is a treasure indeed.

Still mouthing the words to myself, I moved past the wagon and made my way up the hill, finally seeing the looming windmill's form as the rain eased into a light drizzle. I'd already lost my poor, sweet brother Bastian and our own dear mother. I would not let a farmer cause this man to lose his own precious mother, wherever she was hiding away.