29. Colorful Leaves

The voice hadn't come from the girl before me like I would have expected. Instead, it was a young Imperial male standing just a bit behind the rest of the group, near to where Astrid stood. Just how many of these assassins knew how to read lips? I was starting to feel like I had lost a sense of privacy I'd never really understood I had until now. Bringing my hands up to cover my mouth, I stepped back until I was partially hidden behind Cicero, leaning forward and turning my head until only he could see my lips.

Cicero, who is that? I don't like so many people knowing what I'm saying. It feels... different than when I talk to you. How many of them can read my lips? I don't like it!

"Actually, Cicero didn't really expect anyone else to know how to read lips. Not something he is very proud to admit since it shows a lack of thought on his part. As for the other matter, Cicero hasn't been introduced to the young stranger. He thought everyone was already here. After all, he was only told of seven Family members?" His voice rose in a questioning tone as he turned his head to look at Astrid, one eyebrow raised.

"Ah, yes! This is the newest member of our little family. He only joined recently, so would not have been mentioned in the last letter, but since you brought your own unexpected guest... I think we were both unprepared for what we found? In the meantime," she looked at the man as she waved a hand lazily in our direction. "Well, go ahead. Introduce yourself."

"Ah, yeah... Um, you can call me Destin," the young man mumbled, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly as he looked everywhere but at the two of us.

"Is he even old enough to be here? He barely looks old enough to shave, let alone kill someone," came Ellery's voice from near the pool of water, causing me to nod at his words.

Ellery is right, the boy barely looks old enough to have left home on his own. How did he end up here of all places?

"Ahh, but Cicero was rather young when he made his first kill. He would be rather foolish to remark upon someone else's age within the Family," he said as he smiled at me.

Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't realize...

"No worries, sweet Faith! Cicero doubts she can tell how long someone has been in the Family and it likely doesn't help that most people can't tell how old poor Cicero even is," He chuckled as he turned further towards me, his hands moving to his hips as his lips turned up into a playful grin.

Lowering my hands, I peered closely at the Jester Assassin before me, taking in each feature of his face, the hint of wrinkles in the corners of his eyes from smiling so much, the laugh lines around his mouth. Eventually, I reached out and ran his hair slowly between my fingers to take in the texture, closing my eyes as I tilted my head and tried to put it all together.

I can see why people would have a hard time and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier with the passing of time. Some things about you seem to point at youth, but other things hint at an age you might or might not actually possess. I would guess... maybe in your mid-thirties?

I slowly opened my eyes, looking at the man to see what his reaction was. If I guessed too old, he might get upset that he looked older than he was. But if I guessed too young, he might think me trying to suck up to him, even though I had no reason to. That or he would think me to be flirting with him.

"Not a bad guess! Cicero will have to remember that one, even if it is a little bit vague! Still, a far better guess than most have made!" The man patted me on the back as he turned me around to face 'Destin' before he wrapped one arm around my shoulders and used the other to wave from me to the man and back. "And this, as Cicero is sure you have caught on to, is the ever-lovely Faith, another recent addition to the Family! Please do make sure to help make her feel welcome in the coming days!"

Turning my head back to the Jester Assassin, I tapped him on the arm to get his attention.

Cicero, you didn't say how old you actually are.

"And Cicero has no intention to! How is he to have fun if he tells everyone his secrets!" With a quick dance away from me, he turned to the large box containing Mother and moved toward her to see to his duties.

"Well, that didn't go as I'd expected, but it could have gone worse. I'm sure everyone will welcome you both with the respect you each deserve, especially the position of Keeper. As long as you both remember who is the leader of this Sanctuary. Faith, after you have gotten yourself situated, I would like for you and Babette to come find me. She can translate for you while we discuss your... place within the family," Astrid spoke clearly before turning and walking back up the stairs toward the entrance.

"Of course! Of course! We both know who the real leader is, don't we sweet Faith?" Cicero called out cheerfully, although I have a feeling that few, if any, besides myself could hear the undertone that nearly screamed how he knew it was not this pretend leader.

How could a family be so disrespectful to the Mother who had taken care of them all this time? Who now needed them to care for her in turn? Was this Family less family than even Cicero had guessed at, had worried about, during our trip? And if that was the case, what could I do to help remind these straying 'siblings' of ours that no family is complete without a mother to love them and siblings to take care of. Making sure only Cicero could see my lips, I nodded my head at him while mouthing the words my heart demanded I speak.

Of course I know who our leader is. The leaders of any family are always the parents. The father protects and watches over the children while the mother guides them and provides as best she can. And as the children grow, they are meant to assist their parents as best they can. We will find a way to bring these stray children back to Mother's loving arms. Mother needs them as much as they need her, for what mother is complete without her children around her?

I could feel my heart begin to ache as I spoke, wondering if my own mother had felt like this when I left, had wondered if I would ever return to her. And sometimes... sometimes I wonder if I would have returned if she hadn't vanished along with Bastian. My poor, sweet brother...

"Indeed."