28. Autumn Harvest

Cicero... What is that?

I mouthed the words as I stared at the black door before me, a large skull above smaller skulls and a skeleton embossed upon its surface, with what appeared to be a bloody handprint dead center upon the forehead of the skull.

I hadn't expected us to turn off the road into the forest around us, but seeing this made me almost wish we had kept going. All I could do, however, is trust this man who had become so important to me in hardly more than a month.

Has it really only been that long since we met? It felt like I have known him for far longer... Maybe more than that has passed and I just don't realize it? Amicus, how long has it been since I met my dear friend? Has it truly been more than one month but less than two? Or have several months gone by and I've lost them again?

"Sweet Faith, it has been less than two months but more than one. You have not lost any time as far as Cicero can tell. Don't worry, Cicero won't let you become further lost than you already are, but he would suggest maybe you should keep a journal to help keep track of the time you spend?" The familiar lilting voice came as the Jester Assassin danced up to the door and placed a hand upon it before leaning close and whispering a few words that I couldn't make out.

I'd tried keeping a journal once, back when I first noticed time was slipping past me, but when it became clear how much time was passing by without my notice, I had begun to panic. When I next went to write in the journal, dreading how much time I had missed since the last entry, it was missing and Ellery and Amicus had told me they destroyed the thing. They had said it was only causing me pain and had failed to do its purpose in helping me keep track of time.

Perhaps... Perhaps I could try again, just one more time and see what comes of it?

"Yes, this time it might be good to write your days down in a journal," Amicus whispered softly into my ear, his hands resting upon my shoulders for a moment before he pulled away.

When the door suddenly swung open before the Jester Assassin, I took a step back in shock, a chill passing over me. It was only the smile he gave me as he turned towards me and held out a hand that let me begin slowly moving forward instead of running from the feeling of dread that began filling me with each step I took. The feeling didn't vanish until I stepped through the door and into the small entry that stood just inside, leading to a staircase heading further into the depths.

"Welcome home, my dear Faith, to Falkreath Sanctuary."

--------

I stood half-hidden behind my Jester Assassin as the rest of the "family" formed a half-circle in front of him, random comments filling the room and leaving me questioning why some of these people seemed more upset with Cicero's appearance than my own. Tapping the man on the back, I waited until he turned his head to look at me before pointing questioningly up at the beautiful stained glass window.

"Oh, does quiet Faith wish to see where Mother will be staying? Cicero is certain nobody here would mind if Faith goes to take a peek while he finishes talking to the Family," the Jester Assassin said, having held up a hand to quiet the others in the room.

Thanks, Cicero. I won't take too long! I just want to get a closer peek at the window and maybe look around a little bit.

Giving the man a quick hug, I ran over to the stairs and up into the quiet rooms that lay through the doorway. Dashing inside the first room I came to, I leaned against the wall and took a deep breath, my hand coming to rest on my heart. Even if I had gotten used to being around people while in the Companion's home, I couldn't help but feel nervous that somehow these people, our Family, would look at me with those eyes that seemingly judged even Cicero so harshly and find me... lacking.

I gave a sad sigh and lifted my head, finally peering around me before heading to the right, towards where the room with the stained glass window had to be. It only took a little while to find the large metal door that led into what seemed almost like a chapel, stone benches set before a raised area, and just beyond the benches... the window.

Light streamed through the glass, bathing part of the room in red, almost like someone had spilled blood across the floor. As morbid as it seemed, it was still beautiful, almost painfully so. I was so pulled into admiring the sight, I almost missed the shouting that began coming from down below. With a jolt, I looked at the window one last time before turning and bolting from the room to race back downstairs.

I'd only just made it to the bottom of the stairway when I heard Cicero mention 'punishment', running forward to get between him and the giant of a man, a Nord if ever there was one. I almost flinched when I felt the glare of the other man drilling into my back as I faced my Jester Assassin, eyes wide and practically begging to know what was going on.

"Keep talking, little man, and we'll see who gets 'punished.'"

It was the large Nord, his voice almost growling out from behind me and I couldn't hide the flinch this time as I turned to look up at him. And up some more, noticing again how huge he was compared to me. I trembled as I faced him, keeping my Jester Assassin behind me as if somehow I could protect Cicero from this giant of a man simply by will alone.

Oh, but I felt such the fool when he reached out a hand and I flinched back against the Jester Assassin's chest, eyes closing tight as I waited for a blow to come. And yet, I heard no laughter, not even from Ellery. Instead, there was silence but for the soft mumbling of the Jester Assassin as I felt his gloved hands pull me into a hug from behind.

"Shh, it's okay. Nobody here will hurt kind Faith. No, Faith has nothing to fear from her Brothers and Sisters. The mutt just likes to growl, but he won't bite. At least, not sweet Faith," he spoke softly in that ever lilting voice of his, only stopping when I turned to pull him into a hug.

Finally, after pulling away again, I turned slowly and peeked up at the still far too tall man before taking a deep breath and stepping toward him.

I'm sorry I thought, even for a moment, that you would hit me. I shouldn't think so poorly of those I wish to call my Family.

Staring at the man as his face went from angry to confused and back to angry, I waited to hear one of the usual comments that always came after I 'spoke' to someone. It didn't matter if he understood me, not anymore. Cicero understood what I said to him and for now... that was enough.

"She said she's sorry she thought you would hit her and she'll think better of the family next time. Well... close enough, right?" A young girl spoke in an almost bored tone, shrugging when I turned my eyes to her.

"Oh! Faith has someone else she can talk to now, instead of just Cicero. How... wonderful," the Jester Assassin's voice let anyone listening know just how 'wonderful' he thought it was.

In fact, he almost sounded... upset that I had someone else to talk to.

"Perhaps he enjoyed having your undivided attention and worries you will stop spending time with him now that someone else is here to talk to," whispered Amicus.

That's silly, Amicus. Why in the world would I stop spending time with my dearest friend? Even if everyone in Nirn could understand my words, I would still spend my days with my kind Jester Assassin.

"Who is Amicus?"