34. Adding Insult

As tired as I was, it had been hours before I'd been able to sleep. I'd ended up spending most of that time writing, making notes on everything that came to mind about Ellery and Amicus and the things that I had learned during our travels together.

How Amicus disliked the rain, much like myself, and yet Ellery would dance about in the cold drops of water. I jotted down how Ellery was the one who told me to make the first stitch upon my flesh but over the years Amicus began suggesting I put meaning into the patterns based on my feelings, rather than just random patterns that simply showed my skill.

By the time I put the notes away and curled up next to the metal door in the little dead-end alcove I'd hidden in, I'd written several pages of notes about the two companions who I'd spent so many years with. And I once more thanked whoever it was that brought them both back to me, praying they let my friends continue to stay by my side. Then I took a moment to pray that, if they would be so kind, to please help Cicero with his search for Mother's Listener.

I'm not sure how much time passed after I'd fallen asleep, but it was to a gentle hand running up and down my back that I awoke, a voice whispering softly to me.

"Silly Faith, sleeping on the floor like this. Did Faith not wish to share Cicero's room this badly last night? She seemed to like Cicero enough before she left the room, but she didn't return and Cicero began wondering if Ellery had decided he didn't like Cicero again, even though Cicero has been trying his best to not make Faith's Jester upset... Cicero just doesn't know enough about the man to know all the things that might upset him," the Jester Assassin was rambling at this point and as I opened my eyes to look up at him, I could feel his fingers begin to twitch as his hands grew still upon my back.

Reaching a hand up to touch his cheek and turn his face down to see me speak, I gave a small smile before moving my lips slowly.

Sweet Cicero, you don't need to worry. You have done nothing to upset any of us, not even Ellery. No, I simply didn't want to bother you last night. You were so tired, I couldn't expect you to stay up while I hunted for a bed, so I left in hopes you could sleep peacefully if you didn't have to worry about me.

"Then why did thoughtful Faith not sleep in one of the other beds? Cicero checked yesterday and there were enough she could have picked one for herself," the Jester Assassin spoke, his eyes flickering between my lips and my own eyes.

Because I didn't want to sleep near the others, either. I don't trust them that much yet. I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't distrust them so much, but I just can't feel safe around people who don't seem to understand how to treat family. Besides, this way, I was able to stay close to Mother in case anyone tried to bother her while we were sleeping!

"Silly Faith, Cicero locked the doors before he went to bed. His foolish friend really should have come back to our room. Cicero wouldn't have minded making space for Faith to sleep. At the very least, she should have grabbed a bedroll to sleep on," sighing softly, he pulled me up and wrapped his arms around me in a short hug before pulling away again. "Come, let us get something warm to eat. We don't want Faith to get sick because the floor made her cold."

Smiling at my sweet friend's concern, I climbed to my feet and followed him back down the stairs, leaving behind my pack and the small pile of still damp cloth for later. By the time we reached the room where the other siblings were eating, my stomach was growling at the smell that filled the room.

It was only then that I realized I hadn't eaten since before we arrived and likely Cicero hadn't either. Rushing over to the gently bubbling pot of stew resting over the firepit, I grabbed two bowls and filled them with chunks of meat and vegetables, making sure extra carrots were in the second bowl.

Here Cicero! I put extra carrots in your bowl!

"And did thoughtful Faith make sure she had enough in her own bowl? Or is it mostly meat, like usual?" The sharp grin on his face had me lowering my bowl before him so he could see the chunks of carrot and potato sitting amidst the meat, showing that even though there was more meat than vegetables, it was balanced enough he gave a nod before starting to eat his own portion. "That will do for now. But try to add more carrots to the next bowl. They are good for your eyes, after all."

I let a small sigh escape before nodding to my friend, sitting down beside him and poking cautiously at one of the carrots. When it didn't turn to mush, I scooped it up onto the bowl of the spoon and lifted it toward my lips, looking almost like I expected it to attack me.

"Oh, quit being overdramatic and just eat the carrot, Faith. The longer you take, the colder the stew will become and Cicero really doubts our siblings would allow you to dump your bowl back into the pot and get a new serving like Cicero let you get away with last time you dawdled like this," I felt him nudge me in the side as he spoke.

Feeling the stares of our Siblings upon me, I hurriedly placed the spoon in my mouth and placed it emptied back down into the bowl, chewing slowly as I tried to decide if I liked the taste and texture. It wasn't quite as firm as I prefer my carrots, but it wasn't mushy either, just barely firm enough to require a moment of chewing to eat it. The flavor wasn't completely leached from the carrot either, leaving a bit of sweetness to it as it lay upon my tongue, although not as much as a raw carrot would have. It wasn't as good as the stew Cicero made, but it was a fair amount better than any not made by him that I'd had before.

This will do, but I still prefer your stews, Cicero. I hope you get to make something before too long or I might have to drag you off on a trip so there is an excuse to eat your cooking again! At least once before I have to go out on a contract.

"Go out? On a contract? And what if Faith gets hurt and can't tell anyone what is wrong? Or loses track of her days, without someone there to remind her and doesn't come home for weeks... Or, Sithis forbid, for months! No, no, no! Faith cannot leave on her own for her first time leaving the Sanctuary," the man's frantic voice raised and lowered with each phrase he spoke, his food forgotten as he flung his hands around, the bit of broth once on his spoon now splashed about the table. "Besides, how would silent Faith get back inside without someone to speak the words for her? We don't even know if the Black Door is able to hear her Ellery or Amicus whisper the words for her!"

"Well, why not test the idea and see if the door will open for her imaginary friends?"