Liv

http://8tracks.com/marklouplier/the-bad-guy-wins

--

it was six am.

admittedly sleep deprived, kris was more focused on staying awake then anticipating what she was to do. the drag on her consciousness gave her little room to imagine it or really even complete a thought. what she managed to piece together amounted to two things- if no one tried to hurt or kill her, she'd call it a good day; and by doing this, she was effectively betraying everyone who'd had common sense and tried to protect her from jacob.

once the clocks had turned to six, kris finally felt it alright to leave her room. the halls were almost always empty and silent, but the silence now felt young. no one was usually awake until an hour later or longer. the unsettling quiet made her stomach turn. ' they have no idea what we're about to do. '

after not more than five minutes, she was met with jacob's company. he smiled, holding the laptop under his arm.

"you ready?" he asked.

kris nodded. "as much as i'm going to get."

she followed him outside. the freezing air was a sharp slap to her skin; the sky mostly having hit a dark navy hue above them. the anticipation began to build up in her chest, both nervousness and some excitement rushing through her body. jacob sent a message on his phone, then exhaled.

"our ride should be just around the corner." he said.

kris nodded. glancing around in spite of herself, she took a mental note of everything worth focusing on. there was a parked car in front of the empty house next door, which was odd but not particularly alarming. the ghost-town feel of the street was still strong; comparing it to the state of the rest of the suburban neighborhoods, she had to assume this was intentional.

a car drove around the corner and pulled up in front of them. the windows were tinted so heavily that one could barely see the silhouettes of the driver and the occupant of the passenger seat. kris glanced back at the empty car across from them, a little curious, and swore she saw something. movement from inside the vehicle that suggested people were in it. she squinted her eyes a little, not sure if she'd seen that right.

jacob opened the door and whistled to catch her attention. "coming?"

kris glanced at him, the parked car, then back at him and nodded. "yeah, sorry."

she sat down in the seat behind the passenger side.

"kris, this's joseph and eli." jacob said.

the driver glanced into the mirror to look at her, but no one said anything. they drove away from the maybe-empty car, and kris finally felt her heart rate begin to drop a little. feeling even a little safe at that moment was weird, but she didn't want to question it.

looking out the window, kris tried to think about what her plan was. because, frankly, the only plan she'd even drafted was just walking onto a sidewalk and levitating something at random. the outcome of that would more than likely turn out only as well as one could imagine. whatever jacob's moral booster was couldn't solve everything. and however she seemed to go about it, there wasn't a single idea that couldn't backfire.

she exhaled, messing with her hands. she believed jacob knew what he was doing- she didn't think anyone would ever consider him dim- but kris was the one who was going to make or break the plan. and she wanted to come through, it was just a matter of overcoming the paranoia and anxieties. if they were no longer an issue, she saw no reason why she wouldn't be able to do it.

kris was shaken away from her thoughts when the car veered a sharp right. she put her hand against the window to keep herself from slamming into the door. then she looked over at jacob, who looked equally caught off-guard by the sudden change in direction.