ix

• Dedicated to @polkaliamdot

kris re-surfaced to reality many hours after the moon had peaked in the sky. one of her first thoughts was feeling the waistband of her jeans cut into her side uncomfortably.

note: don't sleep in your day clothes.

from down the hall came several clatters of footsteps. it grew louder, then faded as it passed her door. curiously, kris tip-toed quickly across the room and cracked open the door. three kids scattered down the hall, giggling rather loudly. someone "shh" 'd them, and a boy popped into sight behind the three.

after a moment of deliberation, kris slipped out into the hallway, leaving the door only slightly ajar behind her. there was a strange feeling pumping through her system. this was new, this was exciting. she loved it.

and she followed the group down to the ugc. there was a soft glow coming from inside. from fire. as the group rushed in, kris caught the door with her foot and watched from the shadows, just hidden from view.

harry was the one generating the flames. he stood in front of a moderately sized crowd, flames licking at his body. the sight was mesmerizing. warm orange flames clung to his body, climbing up his neck. they reflected dangerously off his eyes. he shot up a large explosion, the heat washing over kris's face. everyone whooped.

from behind him, a wave blew out of the fountain and crashed onto him. that was enough to send everyone into hysterics. even kris cracked a smile. harry, soaking wet, sent a middle finger into the crowd. a girl returned it, laughing hard and resting her head on niall's shoulder. kris recognized them from the crowd she'd followed in.

"alright, let's settle down!" a boy stood up, and kris picked up on the half-empty bottle in his hand. she'd seen drinking on tv, read about it. but this was the first time she could see what it was like up close.

everyone quieted their chatter to a whisper. harry flarred up a quick flame to dry himself, then sat down in his spot in the crowd.

from behind kris came a single set of soft footsteps. she spun around to be put four inches away from louis. her heart spiked with adrenaline. his cheeks were flushed, and his eyes were simultaneously dull and bright.

"hey." he smiled.

"hi." kris smiled back softly.

"why aren't you out there with everyone else?"

"i didn't know i was allowed to. why aren't you?"

he held up an eight-pack. "beer run. now c'mon."

louis pushed open the door with his foot, and a majority of the group sitting on the ground turned around.

"drinks anyone?" louis held up the string of cans before tossing it into the crowd. it froze, suddenly, and floated down to a boy with droopy bkue eyes and a scar near his jawline.

telekinesis; the ability to move objects without physical interaction.

"who's the new girl?" the girl who'd doused harry in water lifted her head. she had pretty green eyes.

"kris." she introduced herself.

"can she be our shark bait?" harry asked in dead-seriousness.

everyone broke out into laughter, some others yelling out "shark bait, who-ha-ha"! louis cracked a smile and rolled his eyes. he sat down at the back of the crowd, and kris sat next to him.