xliii

kris and louis spent the night on kris’s bedroom floor, talking again. they seemed to be doing that a lot, they realized.

"you've been doing okay with your other powers?" louis asked, cracking and fiddling with his fingers.

kris nodded. "yeah, fine. just takes a bit of practice like everything else."

her stomach turned a bit with unease at the lie, but, with surprisingly little effort, she was able to force the feeling down. still, she could feel goosebumps forming on her legs. eventually, a question wiggled itself out.

"what do my powers mean, exactly?"

louis thought about it for a moment. "metaphorically?"

"no, like," kris sat up a little, pulling the inside of her lip between her teeth. "i mean what do you know about what's going on? i know i'm not supposed to have more than one power, i'm not stupid to peoples' reactions. but what more do you guys know that i don't?"

slightly stunned by her lack of subtlety, louis  tried to figure out an answer that wouldn't scare kris to death. although a response anything but blunt would be nearly impossible, if he were totally honest with himself.

"i-i really don't know."

kris exhaled in frustration.

"no, well, i don't have a solid answer. there's not a lot of things we know that are one hundred percent accurate."

"well what do you know?"

louis thought for a moment. "powers are genetic, twins have either similar or identical powers, our ability to control is based on the strength of the power, eat from the fridge and you'll get food poisoning, and we sort of fade into obscurity from there."

kris processed that. "what are the obscure bits?"

"well," louis started, then stopped as if remembering something. "there are theories about multiple powers, some that're backed up more than others. digging them up wouldn't take that long."

a jolt of something ran through kris. "we could do that?"

louis smiled. "yeah. it'd either take a few hours or a few days, but we might be able to grasp an idea of what's going on."

kris smiled as well. they sat up against each other, letting silence reign peacefully. for a moment, kris wondered  if she ought to tell louis about her dream-entering ability. hell, she'd already been discovered by jacob, and there was really no sure way to tell if he'd been lying about any of the information he'd told her.

but something inside her told her it wasn't a good idea. why, she couldn't figure out, he'd wanted to do nothing but help her the entire time they'd known each other. but she kept her mouth shut uncertainly.

"what about you?" kris asked a little while later. "how's everyone been doing."

louis shrugged. "alright, from what i can tell. zayn seems a little jumpy, but that's really the only thing i caught onto."

"i don't know, something feels weird."

"did you eat from the fridge?"

kris rolled her eyes and nudged him playfully. "cute."

louis smiled, then went back to being serious. "i'll keep checking around, it's not like everyone went through a personality-180 over the course of a few days."

"yeah, 's probably just paranoia." kris smiled, although it was less convincing as real. "thanks."

louis leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek; quick, but still as much meaning to is as the times out on the ice. kris smiled, leaning herself deeper into him. she had to somehow convince herself that this was how things were going to turn out, not some demented alternate reality she was sure to come up with.

focus on louis, kris told herself. there's nothing else to be worried about until tomorrow.

--

goddamn every time someone says a sentence like "it'll be fine" i feel like whacking them because dO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND HOW IRONY WORKS TAKE IT BACK BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

we're actually really pretty close to the end of the story! we still need to hit a few points and then the climax and then y'all will have to live with it ;)))

aka i'm going to have to bring pepper spray to school to keep christian from killing me

stats;

date- september 19th 2014

words-712 (so short yeeting myself)

reads-2,730

comments-14

votes-33

edited-